Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-20-2007, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawn-kid View Post
Did anyone go to the 4wheel jamboree or Tug-A-Truck in Lima, Ohio? If not it was a good time. A lot of nice looking rigs. And some pretty good deals on truck accessories.
I was at the tug-a-truck but didn't make it to the jamboree because I was working all day. Saw a lot of nice trucks driving around all weekend though.

When the ignorant rule, civilization is brought down to their level...
Old 05-21-2007, 06:16 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydenstricker Landscaping View Post
Well, I guess after talking to my accounting helper guy (my grandpa ) He said I should just fix mine so it will get more then 8mpg. He would rather see me spend my money on more equipment and such and save some too. So he drove some sense into me I guess. Kudos to him for being smart and his help with consulting me. As nice as it would be to have a full warranty and such, I would much rather like to have more $$$$ in the bank and some more equipment that I really need and will make me more moolah in the long run. So with that being said, I am gonna save and fix my truck up and find a decent used Walker and a push blower, which I am going to desparatlly need this fall since a few of my accounts will be slammed to the max with leaves.
Grandpa is a smart man, WOW only 8 MPG's what's wrong with it? I have a 04 3/4 ton and it gets atleast 16-18mpg. I totally agree with your grandpa, get more money in the bank. I have found that usually when a LCO has the nice truck and new equipment they are not profitting much since all their money is going towards payments.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hello,
I just found this thread. It's great to see so many other Buckeyes on the forum. My Company's name is Erieview Landscaping, and we serve Lake & Cuyahoga Counties. I own a Ford F-350 Turbo Diesel w/ 18' Cleveland Trailer, 48" Bunton w/ 17hp Kaw, 61" Bunton ZTR w/ 23hp Kaw, 48" Walker MD Diesel w/ 16.2hp Kubota, Stihl FS85RX, FS80R, FC100, BR420, Echo PB-650. I have been in the business for about 10 years now. So far the season is going fine, except for those unexpected repairs and dismal weather. I look forward reading more posts in the future. Anyone else here from the Cleveland Area? Just wondering.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Serving parts of Cuyahoga, Lake, Summit, Portage, Geauga, Lorain & Medina counties. Irrigation and Lighting only
Old 05-21-2007, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Nice to see you here Erieview I have seen you around these parts several times. I am from Willoughby and service Lake County mostly, but have a few odds and ends jobs in Gates Mills and Mayfield/Highland Heights
Old 05-21-2007, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hello my fellow Buckeyes how is everyone doing staying busy I hope I know I have not been checking in as much. I guess I need to sleep once and awhile LOL. We have been hard at it the weather is cooperating nicely.

JOSH
Old 05-21-2007, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICS View Post
Grandpa is a smart man, WOW only 8 MPG's what's wrong with it? I have a 04 3/4 ton and it gets atleast 16-18mpg. I totally agree with your grandpa, get more money in the bank. I have found that usually when a LCO has the nice truck and new equipment they are not profitting much since all their money is going towards payments.
Yes he is and I hope I can be like him when I hit 71, good shape, good mind and a great retirement!!! He has a nice big a$$ camper, paid for house,etc so he knows money and business in and out. He is a very smart man and I look up to him and thank him for all the help and inspiration he has given me. I am the one and only small business owner in my immediate family and he is/has given me lots of moral support,etc. I wasnt looking for the new, well pre owned, truck to be fancy, mine is plenty fine, it is that mine has 95k on the clock and terrible gas milage and I dont want a major breakdown, I owuld be 100% screwed!! That and the payments would be only 100 bucks more a month on the new one with a full warranty,etc. New vehicle loans have a much,much lower interest rate than used vehicles for some reason. I dont know what is wrong with it, the truck runs and pulls/hauls like a tank, just a lil thirsty. I am considering a K&N filter and some minor exhaust upgrades to help it breath a little better in hopes of acheiving 2-3 mpg more. I dont understand it, I got 14 mpg in the winter with the plow, 600-800 lbs of salt in the back, in 4x4 and pushing snow. Now with it totally empty I am lucky to get 8-10 mpg. With my little trailer and some grass in the bed, 5-7 mpg And fortunatly my plowing money went for my equipment, so the only payment I have is the truck.

ICS, since you are in the area, we should do lunch or something some time. I want to meet other people in this industry to learn all that I can. Call me at 440-942-6045. That goes for any of you guys too!!!!
Old 05-21-2007, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I will call you we have two installs coming up in your area, one in Concord and the other in Highland Hts.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the warm welcome. It's good to see other people from my area. Especially Sydenstricker, btw, I reside in Willowick.... Mayfield Originally. I actually just bought the company from my previous employer. I've been in the business for 10 years as Head Foreman of the Maintainance Division of another Landscape Co., and have only Owned the company for about 4 months. My previous employer found it to be more lucrative for him to to consentrate with the Construction/Concrete, while selling the Maintainance end of the business to me. So far so good, except for the usual headaches of equiptment failure. It was nice when I worked for someone else, because I just told "The Boss" what was broken.... The next day, it would be "Magically fixed." Back then, I'd work 10-11 Hrs and go home. Now, I work about 12-14 Hrs... go Home and repair equipt., return calls, bookeeping... Etc. It's been a learning experience nonetheless. Before I only dealt with the routine upkeep and maintainance, Now I'm dismantling Carbs, and doing other Mechanical duties that I haven't done before. Anyways, I honestly LOVE owning my own business (Headaches included), & wouldn't have it any other way. I'm always looking for new Dealers, Repair/Parts places, Vendors... Etc. So, if anyone has any info about places in my area, I would greatly appreciate it. I also have a line on a few Walker Mowers for sale, if anyone is interested. He can also Deliver up to 100 Miles (Fee included), if anyone is interested just let me know. Well, I'll catch you fellaz later. Thanks again for the warm welcome and I hope business is going well for all of you.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

JAX, gimme more info on them Walkers, I am in the market for one!! Isnt running your own company fun?? To a point anyway. I do like the headaches sometimes. It just gives me that proud feeling. I wonder what I will say about that in ten years though, LOL!!! Good Luck!!!!