Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-29-2009, 09:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Gemma View Post
Well I am not gonna cut new buds off of a plant that will be blooming soon. We just come back after blooming is over and prune then. No bad day here either. Just tired of ppl talking about things they don't know anything about. I love this forum just as much as the next guy. Just so many giving the wrong advise or talking about things they shouldn't be. You do it your way and I 'll do it my way. Thats why we are all in business we thiink we got a better way to do things than the everyone else. The only difference is I know my way is the best way and so do my clients.
final thought..LOL...................................like i said earlier, i don't hackel anyone..(thought i opened with that right?)anyways, if the information i post on here is too intermediate for you, then move on. If you aren't threatened by it then why attack (you know much more than i right?, at least better ways of doing things, and happy clients, whatever!)........i've always said, and only because i've seen several fit this category. That if i am troubled, upset, miserable, grumpy, or just plain old hard to get along with, then i'm doing something wrong, or in the wrong business. I don't only love this site, i love this business, and i don't pat myself on the back for finding better ways of doing things, just the right ways of doing things.................... (always learning here)If your tired of people talking about things they don't know anything about. Instead of being one yourself. Wouldn't that be a fine opportunity to extend some of the ways you do things that you know are the right way, for them, or would that offend you to give out your knowledge, or information (meaning threatened by competition)........i had to add that, because i figured you'd be sick of this too.......hey!! you have a good year
Old 03-29-2009, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

is there anyone out there finished with clean-ups yet?........man i can't get a break with this weather. seems like either rain or wind. few here, few there.......and things seem to be going really well this year considering problems with economy, reguardless
Old 03-29-2009, 10:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just having flash backs today.
Wasn't there someone here by the user name of older than dirt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites View Post

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Full time college student> Landscape Design and Construction @ Kent State Salem

Help save planet Earth. It's the only planet with chocolate!
Old 03-29-2009, 12:15 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

ya he was from akron or mansfield i think

join us on FACEBOOK www.facebook.com/ClarkLawnMaint
Old 03-29-2009, 12:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, He was from Akron. A very long time ago he was selling 1 of his trucks. After that, I haven't seen him on here.

Quote:

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win."
-- Mahatma Gandhi

Old 03-29-2009, 02:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here's one for Kurt! I bought his truck but he may, may not recognize it.
I'm still working up the ideas courtesy of www.speedysigns.com

I'll be posting the ideas on this link:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=268552

Quote:

-- Mahatma Gandhi

Old 03-29-2009, 03:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittapp View Post
No buds on taxis bushes.
Yes they do. How would they get the berries?

courtesy of: http://www.cnr.vt.edu/DENDRO/DENDROL...eet.cfm?ID=115
Attached Images

Quote:

-- Mahatma Gandhi

Old 03-29-2009, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise Landscapes View Post
Yes they do. How would they get the berries?

courtesy of: http://www.cnr.vt.edu/DENDRO/DENDROL...eet.cfm?ID=115
I stand corrected. What I should have said was that taxis bushes are not prized for their decorative flowers.

If you had read my original post, you would realize that no matter when these bushes were trimmed, it would be a disaster. I was being sarcastic. The woman had not trimmed them in three years and now wants me to make them pretty. That aint gonna happen. Truth is, those bushes need to come out. But, what am I going to do? Pull out bushes that the customer wants to save?

Plus, to give you a little back story on this particular "customer". She is a neighbor who lost her husband last year. I have been doing work for her for free since he got sick three years ago.

What I was trying to do by trimming these bushes now is to give them time to recover. Now they have half a chance of looking decent this year, Not good, but, decent. They had to be cut back to bare wood.

So, now, knowing a little more, when in the world should I have trimmed them back that far? Last fall? when they would be traumatized and susceptible to dying from the freeze?
Old 03-29-2009, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I stand corrected. What I should have said was that taxis bushes are not prized for their decorative flowers.

If you had read my original post, you would realize that no matter when these bushes were trimmed, it would be a disaster. I was being sarcastic. The woman had not trimmed them in three years and now wants me to make them pretty. That aint gonna happen. Truth is, those bushes need to come out.

But, what am I going to do? Pull out bushes that the customer wants to save?
Ok. I would use hand pruners and head the back, but not every growth shoot. Atleast cut all ends. This slows growth. I would open it a little. Now, if push comes to shove, renovate. Pull them out. I like burning bush, Viburnums, or if in shade, Ink Berry Holly

What I was trying to do by trimming these bushes now is to give them time to recover. Now they have half a chance of looking decent this year, Not good, but, decent. They had to be cut back to bare wood.

Don't remove more than 25% foliage in any given year. It would still have that natural look when I am done with it. Pics do help.

So, now, knowing a little more, when in the world should I have trimmed them back that far? Last fall? When they would be traumatized and susceptible to dying from the freeze?

You know I'm not trying to be a know-it-all, I honestly can proudly say with head held high: I don't know. MY opinion is: Feb. early March. No diseases or insect problems. I don't think it will hurt if you were to wait till Sept. If someone here knows, please speak up.

Quote:

-- Mahatma Gandhi

Old 03-29-2009, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

wonder if we'll get to work tomarrow been raining off and on all day, accually since last night, and now they are saying snow showers over night. probably going to be a muddy mess everywhere in the morning.

join us on FACEBOOK www.facebook.com/ClarkLawnMaint