Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-15-2007, 09:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Yea the feeling I'm getting so far are responses that they are interested but bottom line they want to know how much more if any they are going to be charged for this special serivce. This will probable be the deciding factor to stay with there current landscaper or go with me.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

At the end of the day, there are only certain services that people are going to see as being better if done with hand tools. For example, I prefer to do my shrub work with hand tools; it allows me to spend a little more time analyzing the health of the plant, the best way to shape it, etc. But how many homeowners are willing to pay for the extra hours? As for mowing and weekly maintenance, how would you trim? With a scythe?

The only customers I ever had who would've loved a hand-tool only approach were cranky older folks who accused me of "using a chainsaw" to shear their hedges when I came in with the gas-powered trimmers. If this is who you want to build a niche business around, god love ya.

Also, pros use gas-powered mowers for a reason. Doing multiple lawns a day with a push reel mower is going to take one heck of a toll on you. You may have quads the size of Schwarzenegger, but you'll be hating life come August.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:31 PM
LawnSite Member

ha thanks, I'm trying to figure out how I would edge. I've been running my business part-time with power tools I have a nice little set up. But like anyone out there who does this, theres some many companies to choose from. Especially the guys with no insurance or licenses, who just come in and low ball the jobs, I'm just looking for a way to combat that seeing as i'm going full time this year.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

How far out of East Greenwich do you go? Does it get really cutthroat heading closer to the water? I used to work up in Cumberland.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Well I've done a few estimates this month in the hill and barbour district here, bonnet shores and some in north kingstown and yea I've seen some really low estimates. Alot of the times i'll be in a neighborhood cutting someones lawn and a truck with two guys who don't speak english will pull up with two 20 inch mowers and a weedwacker and buzz through a lawn, in and out. Here in rhode island you don't need to have insurance if all you do is cut lawns, so it opens the door to alot of hacks and fly by nighters. It just really hurts the guys like me who are trying to make a living and who are legitimate. Most of my clients don't go the route of the non-legitimate companies, but lately people are really price shopping i don't know if its because of the economy or what but i see alot of it here.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Oh I do warwick, east greenwich, north kingstown and narragansett right now. I'm trying to narrow my accounts down to less towns but I have great repeat work customers in narragansett and north kingstown.