Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-11-2007, 01:31 AM
LawnSite Member

and for the question at hand, yeah going box to box can be pretty ruff on your car but unless your planning on using a beater or doing all day everyday you'll be fine. Just make sure you keep the maintainence up on it.

For I Am A Better Than You Will Ever Be!<--LMAO
Old 03-11-2007, 01:36 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelz51 View Post
Consider this; Mail carriers do it all the time, five - six days a week.
mailman cars are designed for the constant stop and go, your average car isn't

Old 03-11-2007, 01:42 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric3077 View Post
I know really...you can't touch the mailbox, the flag or the post...ever no exceptions.
the law is that the post office owns the inside of the mailbox not the outside. I know there is a statute that clearly states it although i am not sure what it is right off hand i have it wrote down some where as soon as i find it i will post it for everyone
i tape flyers to mailboxes all the time and as i posted earlier you'll be fine as long as you STAY OUT OF THE MAILMANS AWAY, this means no taping to the door or flag.

Old 03-11-2007, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mow2nd-2 View Post
I'm sorry to say that your wrong, but i put flyers out on mailboxes all the time as long as you don't go into the mailbox because thats illegal and as long as you don't put them in the mailmans way they usually don't say anything every now and then the postmaster will call you and warn you and as long as you stay away from that area a couple months your fine.

I am a delivery manager with the Post Office. I stand by my word. If you don't believe me call them.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:29 AM
LawnSite Member

Proof would be nice

Would someone please post what the actual verbiage is regarding placing things on the mailbox or post......or a link to the actual law would be even better....

I've read alot of these threads...and even did a little searching last night...but was unable to find hard written proof saying it was illegal to place something on the mailbox post...

Lots of wording about placing something inside the mailbox without postage..but I could not find anything else....

I'm not saying it isn't there...I just couldnt find it....

ENOUGH of the hearsay...

ATVracer...Have you actually read somewhere that this was illegal...or were you just told this information and took it as Gospel...Calling really does not prove anything...

Alot of these new mailboxes are combo units...meaning they have a spot for the mail and a spot just below it for the paper...if the post office owns all of it then the newspaper delivery guys are in deep crap...

But I could definitely see why the post office needs to take this stance...I just want to see it from a legit source in writing....

Thanks
Old 03-11-2007, 01:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Putting a flier in or on a mailbox is illegal. This is from the USPS website:

"No part of a mail receptacle may be used to deliver any matter not bearing postage, including items or matter placed upon, supported by, attached to, hung from, or inserted into a mail receptacle. Any mailable matter not bearing postage and found as described above is subject to the same postage as would be paid if it were carried by mail." D041 Customer Mail Receptacles - 1.3Use for Mail"

Here's the link:
Old 03-11-2007, 04:29 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

It IS illegal to put anything on the mailbox, however from my experience it really depends on the carrier for that route, as to whether or not they report it. Not many do. The biggest issue they have is if you put them on the flag or jam them in the handle.

It's sort of like speeding, you know it's wrong, it's your call whether you want to do it or not.
Old 03-11-2007, 04:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelz51 View Post
Consider this; Mail carriers do it all the time, five - six days a week.
A retired rural route mailman told me that he replaced brake pads every three weeks. He had his own postal Jeep and the USPS had allowances for maint.
Old 03-11-2007, 06:14 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I never touch anyone's mailbox.

Like was said, many subdivisions have a newspaper box below the mailbox, and that's where I put the flyers. If there's no newspaper box, I put them on the front door step.

The houses are on small lots, and it's stop-n-go quite a bit. The little saturn's brakes were smoking slightly due to all the heat build up from that.

Originally posted by SLR:
Quote:
you really got off fortunate and lucky 5-0boy1!..imagine if you an her created a little 5boy1,now there's a nicely entangled chaotic toranado vise!
THE VERY BEST SOURCE OF INFO FOR THE GREEN INDUSTRY! ALL YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED!
Old 03-11-2007, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Member

I don't know how bad it hurts your vehicle but it could do your legs and heart nothing but good by just hoofin' it.