Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-10-2007, 11:34 AM
LawnSite Member

2005 F250 6.0

Came across a nice used truck, 2005 F250 38,000 miles pretty clean. My knowledge about fords is very limited because I am more of the GM type. But this deal is kind of hard to not jump on. I know there were some troubles with the 6.0 when it came out in 03-04 but didn't know if those problems carried over to 05. I've drove a 03 7.3 a few times and really like the power, but didn't care for how load it was on the inside. This was the first time I drove the 6.0 and was shocked at how it handled and how quite it was on the inside. The only problem I saw was when I crawled underneath the truck I saw some oil collecting on the oil pan. It looks as if there is a leak some where and itís running down the valley of the engine. Not being to familiar with the layout out I wasn't sure where to look to see if it would be an easy fix. Any input?
Old 03-10-2007, 04:51 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

if you want the truck that should be under warrentee, id look into having them fix it

trucks
mowers
stuff

Sig Sauer Sercurity
Old 03-10-2007, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Unfortunately small oil leaks with the 6.0L are somewhat common. Mine has 28K on it and it has a "small" leak as well. No drips, just enough residue on the pan and backside of the motor to constitute a leak.

Other than that, the '05s are outstanding in regards to reliability. Yes, the '03s were dismal and the '04s were a little better, but in '05 they appeared to get it right.

One thing though, check with Ford on this truck to make sure it still is under warranty. Ford has had to quite often void warranties on some models due to the owner using mods such as tuners and such.
Old 03-10-2007, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You should be fine, pull an oasis report on it, and it will tell you what has been done to it. if nothing then it should be one of the good ones. and yes the 05's are flat out fast! about the oil leak, have the place that has the truck fix it. they should be willing to. And its still got 62000 miles of warranty, so you will be ok..

Always a lesson, never a failure.

www.meangreenlawncare.com
Old 03-12-2007, 01:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I actually had the exact same problem no drips or anything but a very small amount which you shouldn't have it was covered under warentee and 15,000+ miles later trouble free. By the way it was a gasket for the valve springs for some reason it wasent set right. no worries dude
Old 03-12-2007, 01:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Be careful FORD's warranty has not been worth a crap to me since 1997 they every excuse on the super duties, I have applied for a lost title and am unloading my F550 crew cab 4x4 dump truck next week one yard of dirtand no warranty, my list is huge rear end, fuel line, ecm, turbo, transfercase, transmission, injector pump, motor wiring harness. I have been afraid to drive it brakes aren't to good and I don't want to walk so payments and insurance on a peice of crap that is not covered because I hauled I yrd of top soil. And I plugged a cell phone in the ciggarette lighter, the also voided a the wire harness for a pinched wire under the valve cover.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry I also did a load of gravel.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

what??! they voided your warranty cuz of 1 yard of top soil and a load of gravel??! am i missing something???!

Always a lesson, never a failure.

www.meangreenlawncare.com
Old 03-12-2007, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ford said it was not designed for this kind of use! Hopefully by next month I will have a 4500 or 5500 duramax. and no more 550 sitting in the parking lot.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

We had a 97 Ford F250 that had a transmission leak......Ford worked on it as part of the extended warranty and charged the company $4K. Then one year later it was leaking again. Local reliable shop said $500 would fix the seal. It only accumulated fluid in the front housing after running on a longer trip on hot days. Then when I would back up to unhook it dumped about 3 tablespoons. There isn't anything wrong with the transmission except the seals.....maybe a common problem?