Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-10-2007, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCA View Post
Hey guys,
Bought a used spray rig that has two hose reels with clear hose. The hose is old and has several spots where it constantly kinks up. So I have to constantly keep spinning my hose back and forth to unkink my hose. Otherwise, my chemlawn gun will stop spraying. This happens about 50 times a day... I'm going to buy all new hose as soon as I finish Rounds 1 and 2 but I need help with a temporary soloution. Should I try and duct tape the hose in those spots to get me by. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Get new hose
Old 03-11-2007, 08:00 AM
LawnSite Member

When you get your new hose, make sure to put a swivel at the gun. Also, to keep the new one from kinking, when your spraying and your hose gets hung on something don't yank it. That will cause it to kink every time. You will need to walk back to where you got hung up and get it unhung. I call it "training your hose" when I used that type. After about two weeks or so of doing this your new hose will slide around most anything.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i went to 3/8 hose after using 1/2. man what a difference. i spray liquid fert/weed/fungi/pre-m out of it at 2gpm. the 2gpm is the most i've been able to get, and thats at about 60psi. any higher psi and it smoked my lawn gun ($15 repair kit)
Old 03-11-2007, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Kinking hose

It's been years. but I remember a tech. showed me that the way you turn around at the end of a pass across the lawn reduces the kinking.

I can't remember which way.

Just throwing it out for concideration.
mount airy, md 21771-0630
Old 03-11-2007, 10:36 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by garydale View Post
It's been years. but I remember a tech. showed me that the way you turn around at the end of a pass across the lawn reduces the kinking.

I can't remember which way.

Just throwing it out for concideration.
Always turn to the Right.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

kink

Kinks are a fact of life. But you can reduce the problem somewhat by buying better hose. Click Gregson Clark above--they probably have it. And try to spray in warm weather when it is more flexible.
But seriously, you must constantly look behind you. Never let the hose get twisted more than one turn. Always try to keep the hose laying flat behind you without any twisted coils. Just spin around and step over hose to remove an excess coiled kink. When you go back to truck--look behind you and spin around to remove any twist before trying to reel up the hose. Drop the gun about 20 feet from the truck and it will uncoil itself--most of the time.

I use a "hose guide" held in my hand to protect it, as I guide the hose into a neat coil. I cut the guide out from a 1 qt oil can. Hard plastic--lasts for months.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Drop the gun about 20 feet from the truck and it will uncoil itself--most of the time.
I use a "hose guide" held in my hand to protect it, as I guide the hose into a neat coil. I cut the guide out from a 1 qt oil can. Hard plastic--lasts for months.
LOL, Don't drop the gun at the curb and straddle the hose when you're reeling in. It'll ruin your day! Great idea with the oil can. It's a lot cheaper than a new pair of boots or new gloves all the time from wearing them out on hose and cheaper than buying the steel one from Westheffer, too.
Member Mich. Turfgrass Foundation (MTF)
Old 03-11-2007, 11:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Kinks are a fact of life. But you can reduce the problem somewhat by buying better hose. Click Gregson Clark above--they probably have it. And try to spray in warm weather when it is more flexible.
But seriously, you must constantly look behind you. Never let the hose get twisted more than one turn. Always try to keep the hose laying flat behind you without any twisted coils. Just spin around and step over hose to remove an excess coiled kink. When you go back to truck--look behind you and spin around to remove any twist before trying to reel up the hose. Drop the gun about 20 feet from the truck and it will uncoil itself--most of the time.

Riggles

A Damp Cloth works fine for me and cleans the hose at the same time I rewind. Cleaning the Hose will help save your reel and other parts from rust. The Oil Bottle seems like too much trouble for a system that isn't as good as the cleaning action of a simple piece of damp Cloth held in ones hand while guiding the hose.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 03-11-2007, 12:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i use a rag to wind up the hose like ric said cleans off the hose
Old 03-11-2007, 12:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUSTYCEDAR View Post
i use a rag to wind up the hose like ric said cleans off the hose
Dusty

With a little common sense you can make life so much easier.