Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-10-2007, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Keep your head up buddy. Get the flyers out and get some business. Maybe you can find another 3rd shift job. So you can focus on the business. Good luck my friend.
Old 03-10-2007, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Member

I think prizeprop has great advice. Since you have a family get another job with medical benefits and start out with the lawn care on a part time basis. It takes time to build a client base unless you are not charging enough to survive over the long haul.
Old 03-11-2007, 12:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

sorry to hear about what happened to you. I am not great in this area for advice but for me what worked was saying F it....either you give it your all an then some or start slow or not at all. Now if you go at it full, you have to be extreamly agressive in your advertising and you will learn what you want to do an can do. I started in July of last year and by the end of the season i had 34 accounts. I was very overwhelmed and burnt out as being solo. So over the winter a few left (they were home renters or selling their home) and now I am down to 14 accounts. I got rid of a few bill chasers and the what not and will be more focused on what I want this season!

I am married with 2 kids and we own our home, pay morgage and things were tight there at the start. But my wife 100% supported me.

Just have to decide what you want! if you really want it you can get it no matter how many other guys are out there! If your a bit worried but still want it, get a part time job and start this on a pt basis also. GL with whatever choice you make and hope what I said made some sense
Old 03-11-2007, 02:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elite4422 View Post
I'm married with 2 kids renting. I have a snapper 36inch walk behind, red max blower, sthil trimmers, echo stick edger. Also misc garden tools.
You will be fine. Some of the other responses imply that you don't stand a chance. You've got equipment that will easily help you build up your clientale. I see a lot of guys pulling out a 21" mower off the back of their pick-up. I don't know their situation, but they look like they are doing it alright, even if it is just part-time for them.

One thing you will have to do is be patient. You will have to work hard this year and build up some money for your business. Set aside a budget that will work for your family and start saving for more equipment. It goes without saying, you need to be prepared for equipment repairs and the like.

I'm 21 years old and going into my 6th year in the business. One thing that has helped me is the purchasing of used equipment. I currently own 2 60" Exmark ZTR mowers. I also own 2 32" Toro walk-behind mowers and a 21" Toro push mower (purchased new). I've had help from my dad, but you can still work your way up the ladder to more equipment. All other misc. equipment (trimmers, etc.) were purchased new.

Good luck to you this year and in years to come.

Thanks,
Lohse's Lawn Service
Old 03-11-2007, 02:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

all i can say is it doesnt happen overnight but you its certainly a good place for supplimental income if you were to find another job until you got the bus up and running enough to support your family. lots of money out there, and if you worried about compettion, all i can say is theres tons of competition up here and im doign great. good luck

trucks
mowers
stuff

Sig Sauer Sercurity
Old 03-11-2007, 03:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Best of luck. Maybe God is telling you to go for it!
Old 03-11-2007, 03:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
Best of luck. Maybe God is telling you to go for it!
Couldn't agree more. I believe its Revelation 3:7 that goes something like this: "God opens doors that no one can close and closes doors that no one can open." That is paraphrasing, but you get my drift. And yes, for all the people on here who are looking to respond negatively, God has a say in how successful your business can be.

The whole idea of your boss letting you go and you willing to go into the mowing business is a perfect example of the scripture above. One door was shut then another opened. May God bless your new job opportunity.

Lohse's Lawn Service
Old 03-11-2007, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Member

u will be fine u r starting at a good time u will find a lot of people just riding around i started with 7000 worth equipment with not 1 customer but went out on faith now i turn people down good advice u can make .
Old 03-11-2007, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Member

I dont know how good of advice this is but it is what i do. I work from 3 am till 8 am at Fedex and then landscape all day. Im only 19 with no wife or kids so i dont need to be at home or anything. The fedex money isnt great but it is helping out with start up costs and things of that nature. good luck
Old 03-11-2007, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks guys!!!

I would have never thought that I would receive this much advise from people I don't really know, but I'm very thankful for it. I really glad that I found and joined this site. After reading everyones replies to my post I was really motivated. I went out early this morning and put out about 300 fliers and received a call from them. I just wanted to say from the bottom of my heart THANK YOU ALL FOR YOU SUPPORT.