Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-11-2007, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

MN Customer called and said to start seeding this week

Customer had some renovation last year and they threw some dirt over the mess. He wants me to seed it, All I have done in the past is overseed and this is what I plan to do and rake it in. What is that white sheeting I see people ising over new seed? Also, if I put it down to early do I risk killing the seed off from freezes? ( currently the lows for the next 10 days are in the high 20's low 30's)
Old 03-11-2007, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

You're about 2 months early.

There's no reason to start seeding before ground temps get to 50 degrees. I'm sitting here, about 40 miles north of you, and I've got 12" of snow on the ground, everywhere.

Even if you got something to THINK about sprouting, it would freeze at night.

That white sheet you see everyone using..... that's snow.......
Old 03-12-2007, 08:38 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Its too early. It can still freeze or you can get another snow storm.

Veritas and æquitas
Old 03-12-2007, 10:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

What is the problem with having another storm on top of it? Won't it just stay dormant till it's ready anyway? In nature don't the grass seeds fall in the fall and germinate in the Spring?
Old 03-12-2007, 11:59 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

What will happen is the seed will germinate and then the freezing will harm grass before its established. In the fall (generally) there is enough time for the seed to germinate and the grass to become established before a hard freeze.

The other part of the problem with the temperature variables is the potential for snow mold. If it would snow and stay cold it wouldn't be a problem. However this time of year the chances might increase.

Veritas and æquitas
Old 03-12-2007, 03:45 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawncuttinfoo View Post
What is the problem with having another storm on top of it? Won't it just stay dormant till it's ready anyway? In nature don't the grass seeds fall in the fall and germinate in the Spring?
Nature isn't getting paid to do a job, then go back and redo the job when the job doesn't work right the first time, thereby doing the job twice for the original cost.

Sure, there's the tactic of dormant seeding, but if it was a huge success, don't you think all the companies in the cities would be working like mad, reseeding all the customer's accounts now, rather than waiting until the busiest time of year to do so??

If it were your own house, I'd say sure, go ahead, all you're out is the grass seed, especially as long as you realize there's about a 20% success rate.

If I were getting paid to do a job, I'd tell the customer that there's no way I'm doing it until the end of April at the VERY earliest, and most likely waiting until mid-late May.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The white sheeting you mentioned might be an HPI cover, a woven synthetic blanket to help warm the soil and protect the seedbed against erosion. If you seed now you run the risk of the grass germinating during a warm spell in April. If the temperature goes significantly below freezing, shortly after the grass germinates, there is a good chance the grass will die because it hasn't hardened off. Wait until the end of April.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Its more likely that the seed won't even germinate. The ground is to cold, and there is just not enough sunlight in the day to effectively start the germination process. On top of all that, the ground is way to saturated and wet that most of the seed if not all will end up rotting out before ideal growing conditions arise.

Just my thought on it.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Member

i'm also in mpls and we don't even think about seeding till early to mid may if we do any spring seeding at all. we try to talk all of our clients to hold off till late summer, early fall