Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-15-2007, 05:20 PM
LawnSite Member

We have trimmer trap racks on our open trailer. The trimmers would always twist around and wear out the hand grips on them. I could live with that, I guess. There were two Shindaiwa trimmers that leaked gas out of the carb. Well like wakesetter2001, this led to paint coming off of the trailer. Well it gets worse. One day after packing up and heading out of a large job where we had two guys trimming, we proceed down the road. We are driving for about 10-15 minutes and pull up to the next job. I get out of the truck and to my surprise there is a large fire on my trailer. The trimmer in the middle of the rack rotated while going down the road. It then started leaking gas on to the trimmer below it and caught fire on the hot muffler. After hosing the two trimmers down with the extinguisher I got the fire put out. The trimmer that was leaking gas was burnt and melted along with the trimmer below it with the hot muffler that caught the gas on fire. Both trimmers were ruined. All the plastic was melted or gone the pull cords were toast, even the spark plug wires were now junk. The top trimmer was slighty melted but the damage was just cosmetic, thankfully. I lost two commercial trimmers that day mainly due to a rack that didn't secure them properly from rotating.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Like dusty I began by just setting the trimmers in the back of the truck or on the trailer floor. I thought I was "STEPPING UP" when I bought a rack from my local TSC store. It turned out that when the trimmers were in the racks they got more beat up than when I set them on the ground. The rack that I purchased rubbed terribly upon the shaft and took almost 1/8" of metal off the trimmer shaft total in a small section. May need to be replaced $$$. Another problem was the spinning and difficulties with fuel spills. It seemed like I was always cleaning up a mess from spilled gas. The boards beneath the racks were just NASTY after a couple months- It was so bad I had to relpace a 8' 2x6. Another thing that always concerned me was security. Padlocks that were compatible with the rack were nearly impossible to come by, so I resorted to a bike lock(chain style w/ comb). I've had about all I can take with these racks, very poor engineering. You've got a great looking product, should be popular. Have a good one,

nate mez

Old 03-15-2007, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Member

All I can say is, is that I was laying my trimmer racks in the back of my pickup and I just bought Greentouch Racks a couple of months ago. I got them for an enclosed trailer that I am going to bu this spring or summer. If i had know that Greentouch was coming out with this new rack, I would have waited.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:57 AM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan90si View Post
We have trimmer trap racks on our open trailer. The trimmers would always twist around and wear out the hand grips on them. I could live with that, I guess. There were two Shindaiwa trimmers that leaked gas out of the carb. Well like wakesetter2001, this led to paint coming off of the trailer. Well it gets worse. One day after packing up and heading out of a large job where we had two guys trimming, we proceed down the road. We are driving for about 10-15 minutes and pull up to the next job. I get out of the truck and to my surprise there is a large fire on my trailer. The trimmer in the middle of the rack rotated while going down the road. It then started leaking gas on to the trimmer below it and caught fire on the hot muffler. After hosing the two trimmers down with the extinguisher I got the fire put out. The trimmer that was leaking gas was burnt and melted along with the trimmer below it with the hot muffler that caught the gas on fire. Both trimmers were ruined. All the plastic was melted or gone the pull cords were toast, even the spark plug wires were now junk. The top trimmer was slighty melted but the damage was just cosmetic, thankfully. I lost two commercial trimmers that day mainly due to a rack that didn't secure them properly from rotating.
Thats a great story. Thank you very much.

That is why exactly Green Touch has designed the Xtreme Series Trimmer Rack. Trimmers rolling around and spilling gas is a major design flaw in all other trimmer racks on the market. The new Xtreme Series rack is the only rack that is designed to absolutely eliminate any spinning/rolling problems.

The thought process with the design of the Xtreme Series rack was to eliminate all problems associated with existing trimmer racks on the market, while maintaining a competitive price.

Please email me your contact information so we can get one out to you.

Our intentions with this giveaway is to get landscapers sharing information, so they can see how serious theses problems can be.

All stories that have been posted are still being considered and we are still thank more submissions.
matt@trailerracks.com
1-800-621-6919
Old 03-16-2007, 09:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I started mowing lawns when I was about 12 years old using my grandfather's riding Craftsman mower and I didn't even string trim at the time. I literally used hand clippers and just did the essentials. I have learned a lot of lessons in this business the hard way.

I work a so-called "real" job in high school and then when I went to college, I got another "real" job at a local bank. The whole time, I maintained my mowing route. (By this time i had a weed whacker!) I spent 4 years getting my degree in Business Management/Marketing so I could move up in Corporate America. Trouble is I hated Corporate America. I left banking and tried becoming an insurance salesman. What a joke that was. Well, anyway, after going flat broke and in the hole, I quite my job selling insurance and finally made the decision that I was going to do what I love: Mow lawns! I've been told how stupid I am. That I have a college degree and should use my head and not my back. I disagree completely. Running your own business takes many skills and my business degree only helps with that.

So, this past year, I started expanding my mowing business and accidently stumbled across LAWNSITE!! What a discovery. Here I was, 25 years old, been mowing lawns part time for the past 13 years and I quickly started learning how much easier things could be done.

For example: TRIMMER STORAGE.

Once I had purchased my first trimmer, I've always just tossed it on the trailer bed or in the back of the truck. I didn't know I had options like TRAILERRACKS!! My trimmers have taken a beaten over the years. Primarily, I have broken many guards because that's what the trimmer head end lays on. The other bigger problem, the engin end always rested on the gas tank. Well, a plastic tank always being dropped, dragged, strewn, what ever you want to call it in the truck bed, on the ground, on the trailer, is going to damage the fuel tank. I have had to replace many fuel tanks because they have worn holes in the bottom. The third problem is that the trimmers always fall over onto their side while traveling. This of course causes more damage and can result in fuel leakage causing more damage to my truck/trailer. The fourth problem results from loose trimmers falling off an open trailer. I have forgotten to strap them down, the strap has broken, and I've said goodbye to a couple trimmers as they skip down the highway into a thousand pieces. The fifth and final problem I have encountered is of course theft from a trimmer being loose. As you can see, I've learned every lesson about proper trimmer storage the hard way and could desparately use the newest technology to assist.

In closing, the invention and continued innovation of products such as TRAILERRACKS are critical to improving the Lawn Care industry. They will only increase productivity and reduce damage to equipment.

2012 GMC 3500HD
9'2" Boss Power V Snowplow
Sno-Ex Sand Pro
2001 Ford F350 7.3 Diesel
9'2" Boss Power VXT Snowplow
1.75 yard sander
2013 22' Suretrac HD Skid Steer trailer
2012 24' Suretrac HD Deckover trailer
2011 72" Kubota ZD331 Diesel
2009 60" Kubota ZD331 Diesel (with bagger)
Stihl trimmers, echo PAS
Old 03-16-2007, 09:43 AM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjeeping View Post
My F-450 is so wide that you cannot see the sides of the trailer when pulling it. The rear view mirror can only see straight back the middle of the trailer because of the cab protector on the truck's dump body. This means my trimmer racks are NOT visible by the driver while driving. Well here's the story:

A rough, dirt road was causing the truck/trailer to bounce all over the place. The long pins which held the locking arms in place must have bounced out because the locking arms had swung open on both sides of the trimmer rack. This left my two, new, Stihl trimmers vulnerable to airborne travel if I hit a large enough bump. Well at the time I didn't know any of this was happening and just kept driving to the next job site. Once I got off of the dirt road and onto the main road I noticed people slowing down as they drove by me. I thought it was probably because "Hey they're driving past a big truck pulling a trailer." Ha, I was wrong there.

After seeing enough cars slowing down, and even hearing some cars honk at me and point, I really started checking my mirrors hard. My tires looked good, everything on the trailer looked secure, trailer gates were secure, gas cap was on.... what was going on!?!?!?!

Finally, after 10 minutes+ driving, another LCO comes passing by, rolls down the window and tells me my trimmers are all over the road.

Turns out the spool end of the trimmers were light enough to bounce out of the trimmer rack and had been fishtailing down the road on the side of the trailer while the engine end of the trimmers were still sitting in the trailer rack. The spool ends were a little scuffed up.. but otherwise no harm done. Just a scary situation which COULD have led to something bad.. property damage, bodily damage.. or could have just destroyed $600 worth of trimmers.
I haven't replaced the trimmer racks yet, just found a better way to secured the locking arm. However, I'm buying a new trailer in a couple weeks and could really use some racks for it!!

Zach
Zach,

Congratulations that was a great story with nice details. I think you should give up landscaping and become a novelist.

On the new Xtreme Series Rack it is impossible for the trimmers to bounce out.

Please email me your contact information so we can get your Xtreme Series Rack out to you.

We are still giving away more racks and taking more stories!
matt@trailerracks.com
1-800-621-6919
Old 03-16-2007, 10:05 AM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAMSLandscaping View Post
the xtreme series rack look like a great product, exactly what i am looking for. I have been wanting to purchase a trimmer rack for some time now but couldn't find one that was worth what they charged for them. This product looks like something i wouldn't mind paying for... SO last spring i figured i could use more room on my trailer, so i figured i would build a trimmer rack out of wood... my first mistake... It was a beautiful thing, held one trimmer and got a lot of the spare pieces 2x4s out of they yard. Wasn't the strongest thing out there but i figured it would be alright... My trailer had wooden sides so i screwed it to the inside of the passenger side of my trailer. It worked OK for a wile.. maybe a few weeks, until one day i loaded my trimmer back up, got back on my mower to back it on to the trailer, and as soon as i got to the top of my trailer ramp i felt my mower jump and stop very quickly. Well, apparently the screws I attached the rack with were not enough because the rack and my trimmer were now half under my mower. Luckily no major damage was done to my trimmer, just a little crack around the air filter.

So i decided to just let the trimmer hang out on my trailer... another mistake. I show up to a job, fire up my trimmer. go to pull the trigger to start trimming and realize something is missing. Somehow between there and the last job, the trigger broke off making is useless.. i wasn't impressed. Luckily i found an old trimmer than i took the trigger off to replace the broken one. I know my trimmer would be very happy have one of these xtreme series racks!

Don Moody
D.A.M.S. Landscaping
Don,

Another great story.

Broken triggers will be a thing of the past with our Xtreme Series Rack, as it is impossible for them to break.
Our rack also comes with all the mounting hardware so you don't have to worry about it falling off.

I also appreciate you emailing me asking for brochures, in fact all winners will now get brochures to give out. Please email me back your shipping information and include your phone number.

We are still taking story submissions and have more racks to give away guys.
matt@trailerracks.com
1-800-621-6919
Old 03-16-2007, 01:28 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I bought one of the basic design trimmer racks, the ones where its just a post with two pieces of flat steel with holes in them and the pin goes through to hold the trimmer in place. The basic racks are horrible. The first problem I had was losing pins, I'd lose them all the time, so I had to invest my own time and money into attaching the pins with cables to the rack. Then comes the movement, the trimmer is always flopping around which is ruining the handgrip and has weakend the throttle trigger. With the flopping around comes spilled fuel, I actually have a big stain on my trailer from fuel being dumped out. The fuel issue also causes hard starts, my trimmer starts so easy when its not being shaken to death on the trailer, but get to a clients property and it's a 5 minute ordeal. Finally (and the worst) is the one time I forgot to put the pin in the rack and to make it worse it was the engine side. Halfway to the next clients property it came out and the weight of the engine bent the shaft ruining the trimmer. So after ruining one trimmer and really beating up another I'm in the market for a trimmer rack, I was about to get another brand but noticed these racks and they look really nice and effecient. If I don't win one I'll be placing an order in a couple weeks.
Old 03-16-2007, 01:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUSTYCEDAR View Post
i started out throwing the trimmers in the back of the truck which ended up smashing the fuel tanks and breaking off carbs and spark plugs.
so i got a brand that need u to put in long pins to keep the trimmers in worked ok at first then the pins started to get lost and the trimmers kept spinning in the racks and would flood and rip off the throttle cable.
so i gave them away and got a spring loaded type rack very popular brand which would hold the head end in a funky piece of bent metal and held the trimmer good for the first few weeks then started to let them spin and wore the end of the trimmer shaft and even bent one when a employee couldn't work the spring and pulled on it and bent the shaft all to hell.
over the years i have had more damage done to my trimmers from the stupid racks then from using them to trim with.
and none of them lock good enough or easy enough to keep the guys locking them seems they never do no matter what i give them.
broken carbs and plugs seem pretty extreme, did you have some cinder blocks or something else bouncing around there with them? this does seem like a product that would give you piece of mind.
Old 03-16-2007, 04:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yep, I too have a story. I have countless times tried to start my trimmer to find it flooded.

But my good story is this.

I was driving down a pretty smooth road, with a bump towards the middle. I hit the bump, and notcied my top trimmer on the rack, was completely dangling by the guard on the trimmer on the side of my trailer. I pulled over and notcied my trimmer had slid through the holder and completely out.

I also have a bent shaft and my handles are all rusted from sliding around. I cannot find a way to get them to stop sliding.