Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-12-2007, 06:31 PM
LawnSite Member

97 isuzu npr question

i just come across a 97 npr with a new bed, diesel engine and 158k on it. the guy said he would take 6000 for it is this a reasonable price. the truck itself is in real good shape and the bed is new and cost the guy 4500 dollars. i've never really gotten in depth about these trucks and don't know much about them. any help would be well appreciated thank you
shindaiwa t-231
shindaiwa 22t
2 maruyama bl 8100 bp blowers
2 toro 22" recyclers
stihl ms 290 farmboss 20in
60" lazer z as
Old 03-12-2007, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Aside from the engine and transmission. Check the brake system. The brakes can cost as much as $3k to replace - if in really bad shape - (with labor) If the exhaust brake is broken, there is a possibility that the brake parts are worn or there may be stress cracks on drums or rotors. Have the truck inspected by a qualified mechanic. If all is good. The truck is a good buy for $6k. Also the AC compressor can cost as much as $1k to replace. Look carefully for rust damage to the frame. Good luck. Once you own an Isuzu truck you will wonder how you got along without one. Don't let the Isuzu haters talk you out of owning one.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I guess I would be very leary of a truck that just had a $4500 bed installed, and the guy is selling it for 7k? That does not make sense to me.

I hear tell that if that trans is an auto, prior to 98 they were a weak and....expensive link. I believe they were 3k or better for a replacement. I would love to find a truck as you describe for that money, just take the advice from spray man, and get her checked out.

Good luck
“Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.” - Thomas Jefferson