Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-12-2007, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Web hosting

Any body use or know about "ixwebhosting" i've seen a couple of good reviews, prices seem good. I'm ready to upload just trying to choose a good host.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:09 PM
Sponsor

there are many great hosting companies out there.

My advice, call the host on a Saturday night at midnight, if they pickup and you get someone who knows what they're doing - you have a good host. Now if you're not worried about down time or can put up with a slow response the call test is i guess not needed. but for me, if i'm running a business email through the domain, a good host is what you need.

you get what you pay for. don't pay so little that you have to put up with contact forms and email tickets. sure all hosts have support ticketing systems, but it's nice to be able to reach them by phone or instant message.

Here's who I like, dependable, affordable, always around and he'll call me when he spots a problem.... www.realwebhost.net
Cleveland, Ohio
Phone: 216.333.1581
Toll Free: 877.713.4294
www.pre23.com
Old 03-14-2007, 11:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks I'll check them out as well. IX is not the cheapest but. Also how do I know if my website was prepared on windows or linux? I'm guessing Linux
Old 03-14-2007, 12:01 PM
Sponsor

you'll know at sign-up if you're taking out a MS or linux flavor box. If you don't see it - just ask them. Unless you have specific reasons, I don't see why you would need a MS box. The hosting cost more because the software must be licensed.

Jeff
Cleveland, Ohio
www.pre23.com
Old 03-16-2007, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Member

On a popular web hosting forum I visit one of the moderators has a signature "There is no best host; Only the host that's best for you" and that's so very true.
Like the above suggestion: will you need to call about something at midnight on Saturday if everything is working and the host has great on-line help for most anything you would normally do?
I bet we get less than 10 support calls a month and that's usually simple stuff that can be handled anytime (not some "mission critical" thing). Last time we had a call that late it was a guy 4 time zones away who forgot the time difference can't remember a time before that it's been so long.

For most businesses if you have your site ready, then as long as the host is "up" dependably, fast, and everything is working there is seldom any need to call.
So only you know if Saturday midnight immediate phone support is that important to you.

A good rule of thumb is to avoid the "too good to be true" deals (they always are) and look for a reasonably priced host with a 30 day trial or money back guarantee. Then you know if you like it or not. As far as support it's always good to check their policies and then compare them to your needs.

As far as Microsoft there is no reason for Windows hosting unless you use the new "trial" version of Microsoft's next "web site" program called "Expressions". It will run on a *nix box but many of it's features require a MS server (how clever of MS to start selling software that only runs on their expensive server software )
Old 03-16-2007, 12:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Another reason to use a Windows Server would be if you want full SQL Server compatibility, and the ability to run ASP .NET web applications.

There is no other web language that comes close to the power and potential of ASP .NET.

Php tries, but its not truely object oriented, and is intrepreted (Slow!).

JSP is about the closest thing, but you'll be hard pressed to find a good Java developer.
Old 03-16-2007, 01:11 AM
LawnSite Member

Yawn... .asp .NET, etc. etc. It's all what you prefer, no reason to jump into Microsoft with it's almost daily security patches and extra costs unless you NEED .asp or .NET which I can't see why a landscape contractor would.
MSSQL and MySQL have vitually no performance differences and again landscapers are not going to be using database driven sites anyway.

(PS: At the risk of hacking off the mods I have both so not being unduly prejudiced)
Old 03-16-2007, 09:20 AM
Sponsor

yet another platform debate...

My advice is solid- unless you have a specific reason, and they are out there, I can't see the need for a windows setup. Unless you just don't care about saving money.

These are landscaping sites.

For free scripting, low cost scripting, low cost hosting and the cheerful nature of the development community towards helping others I don't think PHP can be beaten.

Notice too I tried to keep abbreviations to a minimum. The original post was a basic question looking for simple advice.
Cleveland, Ohio
www.pre23.com
Old 03-16-2007, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebMan View Post
... and again landscapers are not going to be using database driven sites anyway.
Hey! that's not true. I use a database for my site

As for a host, I use DreamHost. Very reliable, cheap if you pre-pay and more webspace and transfer limits then I will ever use. Let me know if you decide to use them, I can get a little referral bonus
Old 03-16-2007, 10:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebMan View Post
Yawn... .asp .NET, etc. etc. It's all what you prefer, no reason to jump into Microsoft with it's almost daily security patches and extra costs unless you NEED .asp or .NET which I can't see why a landscape contractor would.
MSSQL and MySQL have vitually no performance differences and again landscapers are not going to be using database driven sites anyway.

(PS: At the risk of hacking off the mods I have both so not being unduly prejudiced)
This is not a true statement. We utilize 3 MySQL databases on (2) sites and are developing (2) more currently. Not ALL landscapers are computer-******ed, so please quit belittling us.