Click for Weather
View Poll Results: Would you hire a 16 year old
Yes 74 68.52%
NO 34 31.48%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-14-2007, 03:11 PM
LawnSite Member

would you hire a 16 year old

Im looking for a job and was wondering how many of you would accutually hire a 16 year old. Thanks
Old 03-14-2007, 03:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

A 16 yr old I know or a 16 yr old someone I know knows, Only. Not just a guy down the street!
Old 03-14-2007, 05:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would, but of course they would be weedwacking and raking leaves out of mulch beds to start out. If they are responsible and show me what I want to see in terms of how they treat my equipment, I will start letting them do more, up to what is restricted by labor laws.

My opinion might not be the same as everyone else's though, I was working when I was 16 and 17 and I was getting more done and breaking less than the guys older than me.

Chevy, GMC, and Ford Trucks, All Bob-Cat Mowers, Stihl Handhelds and Saws
Old 03-14-2007, 05:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnut View Post
I would, but of course they would be weedwacking and raking leaves out of mulch beds to start out. If they are responsible and show me what I want to see in terms of how they treat my equipment, I will start letting them do more, up to what is restricted by labor laws.

My opinion might not be the same as everyone else's though, I was working when I was 16 and 17 and I was getting more done and breaking less than the guys older than me.
Let a 16 yr. old get cut with a pair of pruners, smacked with the bucket of a Bobcat, or cut with a saw and see what happens to your insurance premiums and worker's comp.. Not to mention the fine you'll get for violating minor labor laws.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Member

I am currently 17 years old and i started landscaping when i was 15 for an established company. I am currently doing my own work on the side instead of working for someone. So yes i think you should hire a 16 year old because you can pay them 10 an hour and he will be happy like i was. give him something to work towards.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team-Green L&L View Post
Let a 16 yr. old get cut with a pair of pruners, smacked with the bucket of a Bobcat, or cut with a saw and see what happens to your insurance premiums and worker's comp.. Not to mention the fine you'll get for violating minor labor laws.
In Canada you can legally hire 16 year olds I believe. Whats the US minimum age?
Old 03-14-2007, 05:19 PM
LawnSite Member

i was just 16 when i started working in the feild, im 18 now, but i know more, and know how to do more than some other people who are older than I am. age persay isnt really the factor some people can pick stuff up really fast, or just be good at it no madder the age.

Truck 8- GMC 2500 pick up, Truck 13- Chevy 2500 Utility body, Truck 11- Ford F350 Dump Truck, Truck 6- Ford F550 Dump Truck, Truck 7- Freightliner FL60 Dump Truck, Truck 12- Ford F800/FINN Bark Blower, 3 enclosed trailers, Deckover backhoe trailer, Truck 14- INTL4400/Bowie Hydroseeder, Ditch Witch,
A300 Bobcat, Yanmar Mini excavator, 2 Trojan Loaders, Compressor, 3 Exmark 60" Lazer Z's
I just work here
Old 03-14-2007, 05:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoopiter View Post
In Canada you can legally hire 16 year olds I believe. Whats the US minimum age?
You can hire at 16, but the insurance guys don't like it much and if they got hurt, they would like it even less. Plus, if the guy's on dope and underage the drug testing won't save you.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Virginia’s Child Labor Laws
The Virginia Department of Labor and Industry supports the employment of teenagers in any
job allowed by law that does not endanger the teenager’s health, safety, or well-being.
Teenagers under the age of 18 cannot be employed in occupations determined to be hazardous by the
Commissioner of Labor and Industry.

This is what the Commonwealth of Virginia dictates, you'll likely want to check your own state's laws, perhaps they are different...
Either way, I found this by googling for 'yourstate minimum employment age' (without the quotes, obviously replace yourstate).
Also there exist exceptions to the rule, such as working for parents etc, anyway it was quite a read, I didn't feel like quoting the whole thing and this is just for virginia anyhow.

To answer the question, if I had a position open that would not pose a danger to your health, safety, or well-being, then I would absolutely consider hiring you (say as an office person, answer phones, sweep and mop the store, perhaps keep stock neat and organized, etc...). And the only reason the answer is no is because I don't have employees (of any age), hope that helps.

Somewhat unfortunately, this is likely to be in the gist of the answers you would receive in a real life situation. I can only recommend persistence on your part, if you really want a job, don't bug the same employer time and again but there's nothing wrong with making the rounds and just keep looking, and asking.

Last edited by topsites; 03-14-2007 at 05:57 PM.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would hire a 16 year old but would not have them use the equipment. Rake, sweep up, clean the equipment at the end of the day, etc.