View Poll Results: Would you hire a 16 year old
Yes 74 68.52%
NO 34 31.48%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-14-2007, 05:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by packer101 View Post
i was just 16 when i started working in the feild, im 18 now, but i know more, and know how to do more than some other people who are older than I am. age persay isnt really the factor some people can pick stuff up really fast, or just be good at it no madder the age.
first off, i gotta give ^^ some credit for having the most kick ass signiture on here!

From what ive seen, most 16 year old kids are lazy, don't want to work, and expect more than they are worth. Yes i am a 16 year old and am in the minority of teens that actually loves working and doesn't like having money just handed to me, i like to earn it! Ive had a couple of friends try and work for me (friend part kinda messed up the test) but most got lazy, real fast, only one ive found that's been great, but he plays too many sports!

Good luck with your job search

Summer Setup

Ford Trucks
PJ Trailers
JD & Wright Equipment/Mowers
Old 03-14-2007, 06:22 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks guys ill start looking at nearby nursery's this weekend
Old 03-14-2007, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Member

i kno exactly what u mean, i hate being idle, i go to work for the fun of it to work, i like it. im stuk workign with people who are lazy ass' and i hate it. i work at a good sized garden/ landscape center for 4 years now i started at the bottom but at thins point im like the 3rd down on the rungs out of like 10. i took a job with a landscaper to get more into that side of the feild. bacically you cant rule it out only based on age, some 16 year olds are complete lazy useless people, others can be a great advantage.

Truck 8- GMC 2500 pick up, Truck 13- Chevy 2500 Utility body, Truck 11- Ford F350 Dump Truck, Truck 6- Ford F550 Dump Truck, Truck 7- Freightliner FL60 Dump Truck, Truck 12- Ford F800/FINN Bark Blower, 3 enclosed trailers, Deckover backhoe trailer, Truck 14- INTL4400/Bowie Hydroseeder, Ditch Witch,
A300 Bobcat, Yanmar Mini excavator, 2 Trojan Loaders, Compressor, 3 Exmark 60" Lazer Z's
I just work here
Old 03-14-2007, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have and still do hire 16-17 year olds. I hire one part time to do work around the shop. Mostly washing trucks and equipment. The local school district has a construction trades program and part of the program is to work part time for a local contractor. Works out good for me. I just have to fill out a report once a week on how the kid is doing.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'd hire him to do jobs like the above. Raking, cleaning etc.. No power equipment.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well I am 15 and have my company plus in the winter I work for my dealer as mechanic. I think that every company should be willing to hire someone who is younger but that person needs to know how to work and not be lazy IMO I mean kids my age are like in the video games and what not but I don't even own one lol what interest me is this business. I checked around to a few big company's in my area and they said they would hire me real quick in the summer if I didn't have my own business just because of the fact that I know what I am doing and know how to run the equipment and mow a yard or landscape something. But if you hire someone who is 16 and is not putting out his or hers all then that is not a good thing.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by packer101 View Post
i kno exactly what u mean, i hate being idle, i go to work for the fun of it to work, i like it. im stuk workign with people who are lazy ass' and i hate it. i work at a good sized garden/ landscape center for 4 years now i started at the bottom but at thins point im like the 3rd down on the rungs out of like 10. i took a job with a landscaper to get more into that side of the feild. bacically you cant rule it out only based on age, some 16 year olds are complete lazy useless people, others can be a great advantage.
I agree with you.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Member

i'd hire a 16yr old but I would have to know the person and obviously hours would be limited and what theyre allowed to handle as far as certain equipment would be restricted as well.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Member

I started my business with the idea of teaching minors how to have a good work ethic. I started by hiring two 15 year olds. Since then I learned I can't have 15 and younger run anything with a motor, so I can't hire younger than 16 which is really sad. The first two guys I hired are now crew leaders and only 18. They are great employees making much more than their peers and will never have trouble finding a job in their life. They know how to work and take on responsibility. Theyíve had to work with both easy and difficult customers. They had to train and work with new employees. They have learned a lot.

I think one of the BIGGEST problems with the youth now-a-days is they don't work. Why any 12 year old didnít find summer work for at least 4 hours a day during the summer was unknown to me. I've had a steady job since 9. Now I realize itís the state government that forbids kids from working.

I'd hire a 16 year old.. They work for cheap, say $8.00 per hour, and are loyal when you teach them. By the time they are 18 they are making $9.50 - $10.00 an hour and doing the same job just as good as I can. Put them in a uniform, make sure they are clean cut, and not one customer (except that pshyco I fired as a customer) give it a second thought. They mow $750,000 homes and the owners are very happy.

Big answer, but I am a big believer in hiring minors and teaching them how to work and lead.

Baruch
Old 03-19-2007, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i would hire him and if he wasnt performin in a week id fire him if he was a hard worker then damn hes got a job....i dont think age has anything to do with it...me being young can see that b.c i know a lot of guys that will hire me jst b.c i work my balls off i hustle....and prob work 10-16hrs a day...jst got home from 7this mornin....always out so if they will work and work hard i would be happy and hire them
echo trimmers
red max back pack blower
sthil chain saws

My Page:
[url]http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=258151[/]

...love what you do, do what you love, life is good...