The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
View Poll Results: Would you hire a 16 year old
Yes 74 68.52%
NO 34 31.48%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-20-2007, 12:02 PM
LawnSite Member

The only way I would hire a 16 yr old is if I knew he was a good worker (you can tell by his parents) if you can't tell I would start him off on the hand tools rake shovel pruners ect. cause I'm 23 I started when I was 15 now I've hired a 28 yr old and he tore up stuff in one year that I did in 8 yrs. its just experience with working age just a number to me.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:47 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Here's a link from Minnesota's Department of Labor and Industry.

It compares Minnesota's Child Labor laws with Federal guidelines.

http://www.doli.state.mn.us/pdf/statefed.pdf

Look on the second page, far right, towards the bottom, it pretty much says lawn mowers not permissible for someone under 16.

Soooo.... with that said..... maybe I'll have to hire some of my friends' kids????
Old 03-20-2007, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know now and at the time didn't care what the laws were because I needed help, but 3 yrs ago hired my cousin (junior in high school).At first I was worried because his mother called for him and asked for the job, so I though he had no willingness to work, but was just being made to. All I can say now is that I was stupid for judging him by that.The first 2-3 months were straight weedeateing for him then I got him on the mower. I got news for ya all now he will out cut probally anyone on this site including myself. He is a perfectionist and a very hard worker. That first year I "made a man of him". We worked 5-6 days a week (depending on rain) with some mornings as early as 5:00 and never later than 6:30, to getting home frequently at 9:00 and sometimes 10:00. He stuck it out and is still with me in fact last year he started collage ,he is going for landscape design. When he finishes in 3 yrs, if all goes well, we are going to become partners and my business will hopefully grow that much more. I started working for my dad in the summer in his body shop at the age of 7 and I believe that the work ethic that I was taught at such a young age is the reason why I am where I am at at such a young age. So all I can really say is don't judge a book by its cover and give kids opportunities they may surprise you.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We hire 16+ year olds. Everyone that is older around here wants alot more than they are worth, dont show up on time, and always have to leave early.