LawnSite Member

grub control + moles too

I have people calling to ask how do they get rid of moles and grubs
and they want their yard back to being green again
any suggestions welcome thankyou
Old 03-15-2007, 04:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Grubs and Moles are always tough.

We use the Blistering Defense which adds lots of oils and pepper flavor that neither like.

The best is to deter them.

www.FarmCropExtracts.com
Old 03-15-2007, 04:29 PM
LawnSite Member

green mark so you say pepper - oil? where do i get this stuff whats it called how much
Old 03-16-2007, 11:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Call 651-295-8388 for more information.

The cost per 1,000 sq ft is $2.50 - $5.00 depending on various conditions such as location and travel patterns, if any.
Old 03-16-2007, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey, speaking of moles... lol J/K... But seriously, this past week when the snow finally melted, I noticed that something started burrowing small paths through the mulch in my front flower bed. Some actually look like they tunnel in, others look like they were made to move through the snow cover and you can see them. Most of them end up going into some of the creeping junipers that I have there for ground cover and when I started poking around, I found that many of the juniper's branches had been eaten through with nesting materials inside. Moles or mice??? so far I only have them in my front bed next to the house, none of the other beds or anywhere else yet. I would like to nip this in the bud before it gets outta hand, any suggestions??? I would hate to rip up the whole bed because I have nearly 200 bulbs planted in there that are just starting to pop up now. Thanks, Chuck
Old 03-16-2007, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Find one of their holes, and nothing a little smoke bomb or M80 wouldnt fix!!! But really, I have never dealt with moles before, so this pepper and oil thing seems pretty cool. Kinda like making a salad out of the lawn
Old 03-17-2007, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Well i'm glad it's not just my problem.thanks for replying
the last couple of years moles--3 landscaper --0
this year im going to draft this pepper garlic stuff it kinda makes sence.
would you stay around something that burns the **** outa your mouth
and stinks like garlic no i would move to. call this green mark guy he really makes sence.
Old 03-18-2007, 05:36 AM
LawnSite Member

The little critters making paths under the snow are likely voles. Basically mice with pointier snouts. You'll sometimes see paths through the grass in the spring too. Nothing you can do really, but people are impressed when you know what it is.

Thanks for the mole info. I had heard the castor bean plant is a good deterent, but not really any experience with that. Incidently, grubs are a very small portion of a moles diet. Most of the time they're too big to fit in a moles mouth. 95% of the diet is earthworm, so using an insecticide like Dylox to reduce moles can also kill the worms which in the long run does more harm than good. Thanks for the alternative. I'll try some this season.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Patterson, you were 100% right about the voles. After doing some searching on the internet, I found some pictures of vole trails and damage to ground cover plants, particularly the creeping junipers that I have. So far the turf damage is limited because I only had a snow drift on a small portion of the lawn that comes off of the flower bed they seem to be inhabiting. For anyone that is interested, I am going to start a new thread showing pictures from now until I can hopefully exterminate these little buggers. I know I said earlier that I didnt' want to dig up this flower bed and disturb the nearly 200 bulbs that are in there, but from the sounds of it, the voles will probably ruin them if I don't. Wish me luck and I'll be posting often. Chuck
Old 03-19-2007, 12:37 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm printing out that post for my wife. I'm not sure she'd believe I could be 100% right about anything.

They are pesky and I've never really paid much attention to what they do in planting beds, but the damage to turf is usually minimal and easily repaired. Good luck with those little buggers.