Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-16-2007, 05:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Water in CGM?

I am using CGM as pre-emergent for the first time this Spring. Should I water after spreading or just let nature take its course? This is a big step for me. I have always had good luck carefully using chemicals. Now I am paying more than double for stuff that is proven to be less effective. I feel better about it, but I sure better not have a mess of crabgrass this summer, or my tree hugger leanings will disappear.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I thought I replied to this already, but here goes. I would let nature take its course unless drought is an issue in your area. You might get some breakthrough as CGM controls 40-50% in the first year according to some studies (or some might argue not at all). In my opinion, cultural practices are very important when dealing with CGM. Mow high and be careful with trimming/edging. A late summer/early fall may be advised as well.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks, NattyLawn.

Spread it today. Didn't quite have the spreader set right, and it took more than planned. Of course if that had happened with chemicals, it could have been ugly. With CGM, it was only expensive.

I have a zoysia lawn that I seeded mid-summer '05. I used chemical pre-emergent last year, and it did a very good job. The CGM has a really good chance of working well, since I didn't have any crabgrass last year. What little bit of cool season grasses/weeds that were active, I killed with glysophate last week. The zoysia should break dormancy in another couple weeks, then it will be time for aeration and compost topdressing.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:34 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i love to hear that poeple are using CGM, it works!!! and at the same time adds alittle organic matter back into the soil.

so how did you apply it? was it so thick your lawn was yellow? and about the watering thing, unless it was windy i would just let nature run its course

when i do annuals in the spring i always put it down before the fert or flowers go in. the new compost looks funny from the yellow but man it works!

also a 50lb bag of CGM is cheaper than any fert/prem if you buy from a grain elevator
Old 03-20-2007, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Terrapro,

I looked for a grain elevator with CGM, but could only find pellets, which I have heard are not as effective as the meal.

I have an acre of lawn, so spreading the $20 for 40 lbs. thick enough to turn the yard yellow wasn't an option. I got a little over the recommended 20 pounds per thousand because my calibration runs must not have been quite accurate enough. I used a Turfco Mete-R-Matic top dresser, and I should have had the gate closed just a little more. Had to go back and get 10 more bags after I got half the yard done.

Don't have to worry about watering in. We're getting a nice gentle soaker today. Not heavy enough to wash the CGM off, but a good soaking rain.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

dang, yeah pellets wont work. how much was it for pellets?

$20 for 40lbs holy shiat