Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-17-2007, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

WARNING!: Stupid n00b question ahead.

Alright, so i've been reading Lawnsite for quite some time now and am still in a learning process. I recently purchased my equipment, all commercial grade stuff.

My question is this, the weed trimmer and edger both make a very loud metal on metal sound that is something I have never heard in any of my previous residential grade stuff. I've got an FC50 - edger and the FS80r - trimmer. Is this common place? have I done something wrong in the startup/storage/gas mixture? or do I just need to get used to this sound?

For the record, I have started them once. When I picked them up they did all the setup on them in the back, I loaded my truck and was on my way (I was already late for my regular job that morning). I started them last weekend and because of the noice, I didn't run them very long so I don't know if the noise would have gone away or not.

Any advice?
Old 03-17-2007, 11:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If i am not mistaken the FC50 even tho it is Stihl i believe thats a homeowner version not a commercial grade, someone correct me if i am wrong. the FS80 is a light commercial trimmer, good start up trimmer. As for the noise, i would have to hear it to give you my advise on it. Word of advise, even tho you get them from the shop new, or if its being serviced, ALWAYS run them in front of their mechanic before loading them up and taking off!!
Old 03-17-2007, 11:40 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

does it sound like a bell ringing? clacking sound? If so it is normal the fs80 is a great trimmer we have had some in service for ten years. the noise your hearing is from the muffler not sure what it is but it is normal.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You are correct. I had gone in intending to get the commercial grade, but due to price and the amount I had planned on using, I went with the homeowners. Being a startup and only doing this part time, the guy said this should last at least 2 seasons or so, and I just need it to last one. Man, you know your stuff. I'll see if anyone else has had this experience with the metal on metal sound.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

thanks Patriot. I assumed it was normal, but wanted to verify before I started using it and really screwed stuff up. I would have to say between the two suggestions, it is more of a bell ringing than a clacking.

I'd stihl (pun intended) like to get some more opinions from others, just for verification.
Old 03-17-2007, 12:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

All new timmers are very loud thanks to the new CARB TEIR II emission standard requiring a specific muffler w/ catalitic converter. My old Toro proline trimmers I bought back in 93 and still using today are well balanced and quiet comparred to my new Tanaka's which more than twice as loud at idle than my Toro's are at full throttle. The Tanaka's run great and start easy but they are loud as hell, perhaps instead of emissions they should think about noise pollution.
Old 03-17-2007, 02:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The loud bell ringing sound is I beleive the centifugal clutch, and the sound is common and normal in Stihl products. FWIW, I have both a KM85 (pro model) and KM55 (homeowner) and the 55 is just as powerful and has actually proved to be more reliable than the 85, which has never run quite right despite a couple of trips to the shop. I've used to 55 to service 12 accounts for three years (pretty light use actually) and it's never skipped a beat.
Old 03-17-2007, 02:33 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Yep, I've heard that sound too, sounds like a ringing bell at certain throttle settings. My FS85X has been doing that forever and it hasn't blown up yet, so I assume it's normal.

Originally posted by SLR:
Quote:
you really got off fortunate and lucky 5-0boy1!..imagine if you an her created a little 5boy1,now there's a nicely entangled chaotic toranado vise!
THE VERY BEST SOURCE OF INFO FOR THE GREEN INDUSTRY! ALL YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED!
Old 03-17-2007, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

based on everyone's input, i went ahead and used it on my own lawn this afternoon and sure enough, it ran just fine, once I throttled up a bit, it seemed to ease off. Thanks for all the input, you guys once again prove how great of a resource this board is.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnpro724 View Post
All new timmers are very loud thanks to the new CARB TEIR II emission standard requiring a specific muffler w/ catalitic converter. My old Toro proline trimmers I bought back in 93 and still using today are well balanced and quiet comparred to my new Tanaka's which more than twice as loud at idle than my Toro's are at full throttle. The Tanaka's run great and start easy but they are loud as hell, perhaps instead of emissions they should think about noise pollution.
Speaking of Toro trimmers...what are they like? I have heard they arent very good, and i cant seem to find any around here...whats your honest opinion of them compared to echo?

Always a lesson, never a failure.

www.meangreenlawncare.com