Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-18-2007, 12:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Dethatching Question

Ok I bought a power rake and have already used it on my yards and my parents front yard.My question is this, when dethatching and you hit those kinda high spots on the ground and a little soil comes up is that killing that area of grass or is the roots still most likely intact and new growth will appear in a short time.So far I have been running the dethatcher at the second from highest level and it removes a ton of thatch.The highest setting barely does anything.So I think im doing ok.I assume as the blades begin to wear I will have to lower it another setting.I know a customer may get nervouse when they see the machine being ran if they are not farmiliar with the process.I would like to be able to tell them that new growth will appear shortly.I need some guidence,please.

PEOPLE LOOK FOR ANSWERS FROM A MAN THAT CAN ONLY BE GIVEN FROM GOD.

KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH (JESUS) WILL SET YOU FREE!
Old 03-18-2007, 12:15 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Good luck. I bare spot a lot. It happens when the turf is uneven. Not much you can do but sell them on over seeding and add a little extra seed in those areas. You might get some to come back but don't count on it.
Hope you didn't put a prem on.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:16 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What sildoc said. I haven't used a power rake in spring in about 7 years since my Giant-Vac died. I remember some properties that were thin or wet we wouldn't use the power rake at all. I use the JRCO rake now, much less damaging to the lawn. If I'm doing a renovation, I will use a power rake.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have made the policy this year to ALWAYS overseed when dethatching. It would be silly not to because the time and cost of the seed is so minimal. Also the extra weed competition because of bare spots will make the lawn look worse. I think the levelling of the lawn (scalping off high spots) is actually an added bonus!!!! Just remember to tell the homeowner if they apply their own fertilizer that they cannot use a crabgrass preventer in the spring for at least 6 weeks before or after seed is applied, or the overseeding was useless.

We do landscape design, plants sales and delivery, full season landscape maintenance, mulch applications, edging installation, landscape bed installation, one time landscape renovations, spring and fall cleanups, and lawn maintenance division including mowing, fertility/weed control programs, and agronomics services.

Mike and Loriena Harrington

http://www.beautifulbloomslandscape.com
Old 04-17-2007, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Member

lawnhoney

question for beautiful when you overseed do you use fegular grasseed or turf builder , never did this and customers are asking about dethatching and would like to include this too do you just spread with spreader ? thanks in adavance
Old 04-17-2007, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Member

lawnhoney

sorry about the miss types
Old 04-17-2007, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have never heard of turf builder seed

i have heard of turf builder fertilizer (I believe it is a scotts product)

What is regular grass seed?

We do landscape design, plants sales and delivery, full season landscape maintenance, mulch applications, edging installation, landscape bed installation, one time landscape renovations, spring and fall cleanups, and lawn maintenance division including mowing, fertility/weed control programs, and agronomics services.

Mike and Loriena Harrington

http://www.beautifulbloomslandscape.com
Old 04-18-2007, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Member

lawnhoney

Sorry mike about the inacurracies , yes it is scotts fert. and grass seed in our area would be rye and fescue , some kentucky blue also is used around here in the Wisconsin area.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Member

lawnhoney

I just realized you are in the milwaukee area and we are about 55 miles north of you Sheboygan area. So I think you could help us out with some of your knowledge and expertise . We are a small lawn care business , just my husband and myself. Thanks in andvance for your advice, Lawnhoney
Old 04-18-2007, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Member

lawnhoney

I just realized you are in the milwaukee area and we are about 55 miles north of you Sheboygan area. So I think you could help us out with some of your knowledge and expertise . We are a small lawn care business , just my husband and myself. Thanks in andvance for your advice, Lawnhoney