Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-22-2007, 03:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StBalor View Post
Freshfitz, i tinkered with it some more and got it to work. I had to remove Phone_no required for it to work. However there is a few minor details i would like to address. If you could, i would like for you to tell me or show me how.
1. the phone_no required. i would like for this to work.
2. Redirect, i would like it to redirect to this page. confirm.html
3. Where it says other service:, I also would like it to say "use as much detail as possible. But staying within the way the form is set up.. (stay aligned)

Seems pretty simple but i did not want to mess anything up. If i am being to much trouble, i understand, no problem.
Never mind guys. I was tinkering with it some more and got 1 and 2 working. I'll mess around with it a bit more and get number 3 working.
Thanks again Freshfitz for the code and instructions.

It's the only job i know,
Where i can walk in circles and talk to myself
And no one thinks i'm crazy.
Old 03-29-2007, 02:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ohhh lol just wait, you think that was hard hehehe, just ribbin' but you might consider looking into a cgi-based form sometime in the next few months to a year or thereabouts...

Thing is, a cgi-based mailform will get your email address away from the scannable code, so if spam gets out of hand, that would be a huge first step towards spam reduction. Not trying to scare you, but coded addresses are food for harvesters (email gathering spiders), and in time your spam level might increase (at least mine does, it has to do some with site popularity but most of all inbound links). It will take time thou, no immediate worries, months, maybe a year or more, who knows.

Now one of the hardest projects I ever did was to implement a captcha (random image verification system) in a form, omg that was a PITA took me a loooong time lol.
Here's the result of that noise:
http://atopqualitysite.com/suggestlink/

The real trick, beyond integrating a script into a working mail form while keeping both in working order, and besides installing the image-on-the-fly renderer (piece of fun Unix software lol) was to get one submit button to do both the validating and sending (or rejecting) of the information. That took forever, lots of hacking code and sometimes walking away for a while lol, I must've worked on it for months, thou it took 2-3 years between the time I first had that bright idea and the day it finally worked, yes it sucked, but the spam reduction is wow.

ahhh I'm just blabbing, I best get zzzz now

Last edited by topsites; 03-29-2007 at 02:28 AM.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Sorry, I didn't see this. I hope you have it all worked out.
This is my busiest time of year since I build many contractor sites for a different industry that is also summer-related so I have a lot of "waited until the first warm spell to remember all those web site changes we wanted all winter" type folks... and they all need it by yesterday
I've been so covered up I need 4 hands and 40 hour days
Sorry again I missed your post, as the summer gets here and my customers get to working more MY work for them will slow down a lot and I'll try to drop in here more often like I did during the winter.
Thanks
Old 04-04-2007, 02:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You'll need software to process the information, nms FormMail is a drop-in replacement for Matt Wright's FormMail script.
It converts an HTML form submission to an email message.

http://nms-cgi.sourceforge.net/scripts.shtml
Old 04-04-2007, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i already have it working and have recieved several estimate requests from the form already. But Topsites, now you have me scared, lol. My cpanel has an option for cgi-mailer but i could not nor have the know how to get it to work.
The form Freshfitz gave me works fine. I just had to tweak it a bit to my likeing.
Thanks again freshfitz and to all that helped.

It's the only job i know,
Where i can walk in circles and talk to myself
And no one thinks i'm crazy.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by StBalor View Post
i already have it working and have recieved several estimate requests from the form already. But Topsites, now you have me scared, lol. My cpanel has an option for cgi-mailer but i could not nor have the know how to get it to work.
The form Freshfitz gave me works fine. I just had to tweak it a bit to my likeing.
Thanks again freshfitz and to all that helped.
Ahhh it's just different ways of doing things, you're gtg with what you have.