Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-01-2000, 07:46 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I must be lucky, started out with a 10x20 garage with a basement under it, then a 20x20 garage, now the house we bought has a 16x24 garage with 9 foot door so I can store my plow in the back and back the trailer in at night. Town and assessor dont care if they dont see it. <p>A friend has his equipment in an abandoned oil storage tank, they cut a hole in the side and put in an overhead door, only problem is its hard to heat with that 100 foot ceiling! There are 16 other abandoned tanks available to rent, central connecticut right on the river if anyones interested.<p>Bill
Old 03-01-2000, 09:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I own a condominium apartment and my partner rents in an apartment building. So, we store our equipment at a local U-Store. We've got 3 10'x20' garages and that costs us $465/month. This season we'll need another so we'll be up over $600/month. Storage is expensive here. Someday I'll be in a house and we'll build a large storage shed for everything but that's years away. Covered trailers would be nice but there's still nowhere for us to park them. <p>----------<br>Dave in S.Ontario<br>
Old 03-01-2000, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Member

I guess rent is HIGH, I can rent a 10x30 for $75.00 a month.But i can't get my 20' trailer in them because the doors are too small and i know my new 24' gooseneck thats should be in Friday will for sure not fit. I even know a guy in town that has built 2 new 30x50 10'tall shops he rents for $200.00 a month, both of course are full, he plans to build more and I'm on the list.<p>----------<br>T.J. Greenfield<br>
Old 03-02-2000, 12:05 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

If all goes well I will be moving in a few weeks to a house with 2450 sq ft, on over an acre of flat land, screened in back porch overlooking a pasture, only neighbors are 1/2 mile down road, and heres the best part, it already has a 40 x 60 shop right in the back yard!!!!! We have been looking and looking here lately and were finally blessed with this house.. The couple wants to sell the whole shootin' match for 85 but will rent it for now for $500.00 a month. We too live in town right now and the trailer stays under the carport. I feel like I'm being watched everytime I drag everything off to work on it, even change blades. Don't want to make too much noise! Oh well, our prayers have finally been answered and with any luck we'll be on our way out soon. No neighbors watching over me will be great.<p>Homer
Old 03-05-2000, 03:23 PM
Banned

Hey Homer where are you at??? A 2500 sq. ft. house on a acre for $ 85000? Or rent it for $ 500.00 dam. One you cant buy a acre lot for 85000 in this area. Or even rent a house for close to $ 500 per month. Looks like most of the guys here have it lucky. Rent seems to be cheap for most of you guys. A friend has just signed the papers on a deal for 2 1/2 acres with a 40x50 shop for $ 450000 hopefully we will be able to build on to the building to give us a set up in back of his. Only problem is the village is starting problems with him already. They dont want a landscaper in this area. The property was a JUNK yard for last 25 years but a landscaper will bring down the area so they say. See what happens.
Old 03-05-2000, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Alabama the beautiful!!!!!!!!! I have heard the horror stories of high prices around the country..................We may live in redneck land but hey, when you got it flaunt it!!!! <p>On a more serious note, I really don't know how some of you guys make it in your locations. The land around here sells for 25-3500 an acre, houses average 90-130,000 for a nice, new 3br 2 bath on a 1/2 acre lot. The going rate for mowing is roughly the same as everywhere else in the country, plus we get to mow year round......no snow! It gets hotter than h---e double eck in the summer though, and stays hot into the fall, but that just helps out the bottom line and the ability to market your year round plans.<p>We're not in the house yet but when we get the word I'll let you know. I'm just excited knowing there is an enclosed shop with a slab already there!!!!!YIPEE I'll get to sit on the back porch and look at cows, and them bitches could care less what you do in your back yard!!!!!!!!!!!!<p>Homer
Old 03-10-2000, 12:34 AM
LawnSite Member

Here is an idea. Do you mow any commercial places that you could swap maintenance for rent? I mow a industrial/commercial/office park and swap the maintenance fee for rent. We have about 1500 square feet with elec. and water for the equivalent of 7 months of $190 a month mowing. Has worked well for us.
Old 03-10-2000, 08:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Just read one of the posts about 5 back. $75 for a 10 x 30????? You should be kissing the concrete floor of that storage unit! I pay $195 for that same unit EVERY MONTH! I would have 2 if they were only $75 each. Instead I will continue to stack all my crap up to the ceiling and only buy fertilizer on the day that I apply it.
Old 03-10-2000, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Member

That rent on the 10x30 is $75.00 a month and that is a whole new building complex,Monday I checked on a 30x60 roundtop builing two sliding doors one walk thru has a restroom and little office nice location and they wanted $250.00 a month I might rent it.<p>----------<br>T.J. Greenfield<br>
Old 03-10-2000, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I to am blessed. I have a 30x20 garage that I rent for 100 per month. I installed 10 windows last week for the owner and now have 13 months free rent. There is also another 30x30 area of this shop and I use that side when mine gets full. I can leave the trailer and extra trucks there also if i need to. Plus the guy has hundreds of yards of loom at my beck and call for 10 a yard screened. He has a 10 wheeler to deliver with, and gives me all the 3-4 yrd deliveries.<br>