Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-19-2007, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Problems with what my commercial account pays....

..well, sort of

Ok, lets see how "in a nutshell" i can put this...

I work for Taco Mayo, and my boss has 8 lots (the mowable property seemed damn near 3/4 of an acre) plus the taco mayo property (really insignificant) that he'd appreciate me to mow, and would pay me $100 for it.

*thinks* fantastic, i like mowing yards, and this sounds like a nice way to get easy cash.*end of thought*

I'm not all to sure what you professionals would charge for that amount. anyway, i'll admit, i spent 9 man hours on the property i mowed (including running to the store to get trashbags, stopping to unload leaves, weedeat, load up, etc), and i feel thoroughly screwed out of some good money, but then i may have been unefficient, i was completely using someone elses equipment, AND the main "please slap me in the face really hard" factor, is that my boss even SAID i didn't have to bag as much as i did (about 45 30gallon hefty garbage bags), so that was my fault, and i could have did the yard in about a 1/3 of the time i did today, which makes sense, my boss said he usually does it in 3 hours. (a more reasonable profit per hour IMO)

With that being said, he wants to add that $100 to my paycheck as a bonus, which means taxes taken out. I'm ASSUMING that's right around 15% of that $100 that i won't see, at least initially in my paycheck. Now here are my problems/questions i need anwered (please)

1. What are your .02's worth on the pay being added on to my paycheck, for examples of tax takeouts.

2. Is it a good idea in general to have your boss as a client?

3. THIS IS STRICTLY FOR THE TAX PROFESSIONALS. Am i as a single person who doesn't pay any bills and goes to high school able to get ANYTHING back if I file taxes; and can my parents still claim me as a dependant when they file taxes(if i file my own taxes) ?

4. Bottom line, is $85 worth it to cut and weedeat 8 lots? (what i'm assuming will be left on my paycheck after taxes for the $100)
Old 03-20-2007, 12:20 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If he is adding it to your regualr pay check, he is not your client.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:23 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy View Post
Plus, if you're working 9 hours for $100, you're not running a business.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crescentcountryboy View Post
AND the main "please slap me in the face really hard" factor, is that my boss even SAID i didn't have to bag as much as i did (about 45 30gallon hefty garbage bags), so that was my fault, and i could have did the yard in about a 1/3 of the time i did today,
Quote:
Originally Posted by LwnmwrMan22 View Post
Plus, if you're working 9 hours for $100, you're not running a business.

but would you agree 3 hours is more reasonable?

I had to stop mowing every 2 minutes to do a 10 minute return-to-dump-unload-leaves-reload-leaves-reload-tub-start-mower-return-to-mowing-spot maneuver which i repeated many times, SEVERELY overkilling my efficiency, and was basically a
spring cleanup that i didn't anticipate, bottom line. So yes, i ate some serious labor, and it won't happen again. I make mistakes, i learn from them.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy View Post
so what steps should i take to make him my client?
Old 03-20-2007, 12:41 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
but would you agree 3 hours is more reasonable?

I had to stop mowing every 2 minutes to do a 10 minute return-to-dump-unload-leaves-reload-leaves-reload-tub-start-mower-return-to-mowing-spot maneuver which i repeated many times, SEVERELY overkilling my efficiency, and was basically a
spring cleanup that i didn't anticipate, bottom line. So yes, i ate some serious labor, and it won't happen again. I make mistakes, i learn from them.
Personally, I guess I don't understand what you were doing, when you say the text I put in BOLD face.

I charge $150 / hour for a spring cleanup, but I also have $15k in equipment doing it.

I probably would have done your lot in 2 hours, been spotless and charged $300.

Were you using a push mower?
Old 03-20-2007, 12:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

WOW... i'm floored that they would have you out running POWER EQUIPMENT as an employee at your age (assumed minor).

Them adding the $100 to your paycheck makes it an "employee wage"
It should make your W-2 like the rest.

In that senario, you have the benefit of not having to pay self employment taxes on the amount and so forth... so you come out better actually... and any amount taken you'll likely get back as you stated... so it's sort of going into savings.

I'm sure it will take you less time to do it in the future.
The money probably won't be bad considering you'll have no expenses.

The only down side is that you can't slip that $100 under the table every week and AVOID the taxes altogether... which is what you sounded like your intentions were.

"If you place a low value upon yourself, rest assured..... the world will not raise your price."

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten"
Old 03-20-2007, 12:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

first off, i don't have 15k. I wasn't using ANY of m equipment. I can put 3 heft tie-up bags in the bagging chute, which took SIGNIFICANT time to take out, tie up, and throw in the designated pile, and return back to the spot i was mowing at. It was like a maze, there were fences all over the place....i 'll try to upoad a Google Earth map
Old 03-20-2007, 12:58 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
first off, i don't have 15k. I wasn't using ANY of m equipment. I can put 3 heft tie-up bags in the bagging chute, which took SIGNIFICANT time to take out, tie up, and throw in the designated pile, and return back to the spot i was mowing at. It was like a maze, there were fences all over the place....i 'll try to upoad a Google Earth map
IMO, that much work ain't worth $100. Just work a couple of nights overtime.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LwnmwrMan22 View Post
IMO, that much work ain't worth $100. Just work a couple of nights overtime.

BUT...is THREE HOURS worth it? The "unanticipated spring cleanup" was JUST A ONE TIME SCREWUP.