Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-20-2007, 01:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Is it just me? Ferris

Well i think i was on something after i have now purchased 5 z's from ferris. Is it just me or is the quality of the cut and stripping crappy? The only ferris that i have that seems to stip ok is the 48" DD do you guys have the same issue or do you guys run stipping kits or recommend a diff. machine
Old 03-20-2007, 02:25 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnsRUsInc. View Post
Well i think i was on something after i have now purchased 5 z's from ferris. Is it just me or is the quality of the cut and stripping crappy? The only ferris that i have that seems to stip ok is the 48" DD do you guys have the same issue or do you guys run stipping kits or recommend a diff. machine
Shoot, I figured that out after my second Z. If the dew was out before 10 am, or if it'd rained in the last hour, the Ferris stayed on the trailer.

I had factory reps out a couple of times, but they said that I was trying to mow when it was too wet.

Anyways, it'll be a while before I'm back on one.

I DO however run a 48" DD wb, which I'm okay with, but I basically use it on 2 accounts, and that's it.

I'm glad that there's other guys out there that like them.

Rodfather is one that I can think of.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I demoed a Ferris twice this summer. I loved the machine, suspension and overall quality, but I did not buy one becasue of the quality of cut.

During the demo we did an expiriment. We mowed half of a large lawn with the demo Ferris with brand new blades. We mowed the other half with my 7 year old Toro with 1500+ hours on it, the front of the deck smashed in, and only so so blades. The half we mowed with that old Toro looked 200% better. That was enough to convince me that I won't have a Ferris untill they come out with a differant deck.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

LMAO, I would like to know how many of you guys have had customers come up to you and ask questions about the stripe you are leaving.

I have been at this now 14 years full time and NOT once in all those years has a customer approached me (or anyone on my crews) and questioned the striping capability of our machines. I am not even sure that 1% of the over 200 customers we have now understand what the hell a stripe is lol.

As for Ferris cutting ability, I have 4 Z's and 5 WB's of their's (and over 20 machines during the past 14 years as) taking down over 500 acres of turf a week....need I say more? And I have been using Ferris almost exclusively all this time as well.

Last edited by rodfather; 03-20-2007 at 05:29 PM.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodfather View Post
LMAO, I would like to know how many of you guys have had customers come up to you and ask questions about the stripe you are leaving.

I have been at this now 14 years full time and NOT once in all those years has a customer approached me (or anyone on my crews) and questioned the striping capability of our machines. I am not even sure that 1% of the over 200 customers we have now understand what the hell a stripe is lol.

As for Ferris cutting ability, I have 4 Z's and 5 WB's of their's (and over 20 machines during the past 14 years as) taking down over 500 acres of turf a week....need I say more? And I have been using Ferris almost exclusively all this time as well.
LOL... I have never hear a client compliment or complain to me on stripes. Although I did few anyway. It looked good to me but to them they were just busy with life & were pleased not to have to mow on Saturdays themselves.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ive got the older style single hydro 48" wb and it leaves a halfway decent stripe with me riding on the sulky. After I get my patterns going, I receive compliments weekly from homeowners in the nicer neighborhoods. My 36" does an okay job as well on stripping. Ive noticed that my stripes might not be as dark or defined as other mowers on the first cut, but after you have been cutting a yard for 2 months or so and have 2-3 different patterns going, they all become darker and look nice. Neither of my Ferris mowers have let me down once but when it does come time to buy a ztr, I will be demoing a few other brands none the less.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Rodfather hey i respect you opions on ferris i have demoed all other machines and ferris has to be the worst its not the stripping ability its the quality of cut. thats a big thing and yes customers do complain about that. With my co. taking down 280 acres a week need i say more
Old 03-20-2007, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I for one think Ferris has the nicest Riders and walkbehinds on the market now.
The IS is awesome on the Z's and 3-wheelers, and the walkbehinds are flat nice.

But I do agree that the overall cut quality does seem to leave something to be desired.

I guess it all depends on your conditions, what you are cutting and what your expectations are.

To me, they seem like a lot of other mowers, such as the John Deere's. I have seen pictures here with fantastic looking results. But I just don't see it in my area.

Overall, it seems to me that the Ferris deck has potential. Just needs tweaking. Like it doesn't suffer some of the problems other decks do. But it just really seems to lack when it comes to vaccuum, and it struggles with dampness/wetness.

What I mean other that the wet performance is...

They seem to be very close to cutting really well.
But it would take a lot more vaccuum to achieve that.

I mean they cut fairly clean... no big stringers left behind... no uncut streaks...

But the finished cut does not look sucked up and cut off crisp.
It looks more cut and knocked over in the direction of travel to me.
Like it cuts in place, or pushes it over a bit before cutting.

But I've seen far worse in cut quality though.

"If you place a low value upon yourself, rest assured..... the world will not raise your price."

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten"
Old 03-21-2007, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy Lawn Service View Post
I for one think Ferris has the nicest Riders and walkbehinds on the market now.
The IS is awesome on the Z's and 3-wheelers, and the walkbehinds are flat nice.

But I do agree that the overall cut quality does seem to leave something to be desired.

I guess it all depends on your conditions, what you are cutting and what your expectations are.

To me, they seem like a lot of other mowers, such as the John Deere's. I have seen pictures here with fantastic looking results. But I just don't see it in my area.

Overall, it seems to me that the Ferris deck has potential. Just needs tweaking. Like it doesn't suffer some of the problems other decks do. But it just really seems to lack when it comes to vaccuum, and it struggles with dampness/wetness.

What I mean other that the wet performance is...

They seem to be very close to cutting really well.
But it would take a lot more vaccuum to achieve that.

I mean they cut fairly clean... no big stringers left behind... no uncut streaks...

But the finished cut does not look sucked up and cut off crisp.
It looks more cut and knocked over in the direction of travel to me.
Like it cuts in place, or pushes it over a bit before cutting.

But I've seen far worse in cut quality though.
Ferris is owned by Simplicity.

My dealer (Kubota, Ferris AND Simplicity) said last week that Simplicity is working on putting more work into the Ferris deck.

IMO, the deck is too shallow to allow the best of capacity.

My biggest complaint was by far, that the baffles under the deck were too closed off. I wanted to cut them out, but the dealer wouldn't do it for me, nor would they honor any warranty after that, so I ended up trading the two Z's in.

I guess eventually I'll try them again, but the factory rep is going to have to put me on one for 2-3 weeks.

Toro is the same way, they're going to bring me a diesel 72" mower out this summer for me to try for 2-3 weeks, they want feedback on how it compares to the Kubota.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:53 AM
LawnSite Member

I planned on getting a ferris 1500 zero turn this year. But now I am alittle hesitant. A friend of mine uses ferris and loves them. I would be able to get the 1500 with a bagging system for $8k out the door. Another dealer close by has scag and exmark. A similar Z to the ferris would be about $1,200-1,500 more dollars. Is the ferris machine worth the price I am getting it for or should I spend the extra money and get a scag or exmark (I forget what the models were, maybe tiger cub? for the scag).....thanks in advance