Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-30-2001, 09:24 AM
LawnSite Member

I've been thinking of the best way to reply to this post. From most responses it looks like heating issues seem to be the most concerned. Like aroboristsite said, Kohler does have a removable clean out cover on the Walker. I would recommend to add this to any Kohler engine. If you read the owners manuals of most air cooled engines, they recommend removing all shrouds and covers and clean the cooling fins every 100 hours. Lets get real. This never happens, but if you have the clean out kits on, in about 10 to 15 minutes you could have the fins cleaned out using compressed air. The kits can be added. You do have to have the blower housing off. There are two part numbers from Kohler for them, 2575520-s (black) and 2575521-s (zinc dichromate). They are $9-10 and include the template to cut the blower housing and fastening hardware. And as far as liquid cooled engines, the radiator fins have to be kept clean, if not you end up with the same problems as air cooled. Some manufactures have electric fans that reverse air flow through the radiator every 5-10 minutes. I agree that Kohler is slow on testing equipment, but also the above mentioned testor shown at Louisville can be put on a laptop and back in the field for testing. More expensive that way though.
Old 07-30-2001, 09:36 AM
LawnSite Member

True it can be put on a laptop, but it wont even be availible to distributors until November at the earliest. This means they have had the engine out for a couple years with out the proper equipment to test this engine. Even if a customer bought the software. There is no way he is going to let his crew bring the laptop with them to diagnose problems on the spot. True Kubotas need to be cooled also. Cant wait for Kohlers Liquid Cooled EFI next year. What a mess. I know that people are chewing butt to Walker about this engine. Some people have been down for over three weeks due to them dragging their feet. The reaction time is much too slow. Thanks for posting part numbers jman. I hope everone uses them.