Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-11-2000, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I was wondering if any of you charge for having to double-cut a lawn, when the growth is really good? I only charge customers for it that only want their lawns cut bi-weekly.<br> After all. It does take extra time to do, and time is money for us.
Old 03-11-2000, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We do not charge extra when the grass grows fast or charge less when the grass grows slow.<p>We mow all customers weekly. <p>We know prior to quoting how much that lawn will grow in typical weather conditions.
Old 03-11-2000, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Member

I have let double cuts go in the past Victor and it always seems to come back to haunt me. If people are charged for this service hopefully they will get you in weekly instead. Personally I'm not interested in anything bi-weekly this year(except in times of drought). Goood Luck<br> Lance<br>
Old 03-12-2000, 08:56 AM
LawnSite Member

The only time I believe this should be done is if it is the first time you mow their lawn. What I mean is; if they flag you down while you are heading to one of your current customers and tell you they haven't been able to mow their lawn in a month.--then you double charge. Or if you get a call for a full maintenance account starting late in the season. When you arrive and their lawn is extremly high--you double charge the first visit. I don't think you will have a hard time explaining this to customers. When I take on customers that only want service on a bi-weekly plan, I factor that in and give them a price at least $5 higher than I normally would. <p>You should also keep in mind that mowing everyother week may hurt you. What if a neighbor is needing maintenance, and they see how out of control one of your bi-weekly lawns has gotten, you will have a hard time convencing this potential customer that you do solid work.
Old 03-12-2000, 09:27 AM
Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

We also won't mow on a every other week schedule. If you start it, they all want to save money. It is harder on the equipment and more work period. When the grass is growing fast in the spring, we try to mow the worst ones twice a week. We also charge them for twice a week, but I also talk this over first with the customer. I don't think we will have to worry about it this year as dry as it is. I'm hoping for once a week this spring. <p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.townserver.com/elm/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>
Old 03-12-2000, 12:02 PM
LawnSite Member

yes we do. We mow every seven days +- 1 day. if due to rain we are unable to mow we charge extra. Example ON day 7 its a friday and it rains fri and sat we cut on monday a $40 may be $60. and will cut on fri for $40.<br>this is right in the contract. Been doing that for about 10 years, the first seven years I would eat the extra time but had a hard time making money in the spring, not any more.