Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-22-2007, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Member

2nd year ahead

Full time police officer, degree in Turf??? Kinda odd? I was a general manager for a 4 crew lawn/landscape company for 6 years, worked at Lesco, Finn, cop, and now in my second year with my own company... 2 part time guys help when time permits. Love this profession, although never thought I'd come back to it after leaving it 5 years ago. Last year was just landscape, hardscape, fences. This year we have added 2 walk behinds(never thought I'd cut again), and lawn apps. I have to say its nice starting over and growing exactly the way you want and being able to learn from mistakes in the past. But, the down side is acquiring clients and equipment all over again. Police job provides networking, although I try not to fish off the cop pier, (ethics and all). I have enjoyed this site, hopefully I dont have time to write much as I hope to be busy. We had a nice winter here, so this year is starting off better than last year with 500 startup. Now we have a bigger trailer, truck, mowers, trimmer, blowers, plow, salters, etc..... Dont know if I'll ever give up policing, due to retirement and insurance, but it hard to say which is a side job.. Good luck to all!! Try not to under bid your competition, there is plenty to go around. Set yourself apart by quality and not price... At least you and your clients will respect you more, along with your fellow LCO's.. Thats it, bye