Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-24-2007, 11:21 PM
jefkar jefkar is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: manchester, MO
Posts: 5
Toro self propelled mower - won't run

I replaced magneto, new carb, new plug, tested kill switch and it runs but not to speed required to mow grass. Verified mag gap, plug gap, good gas. Spent too much money to quit now. What else could it be?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-25-2007, 08:24 AM
LarryF's Avatar
LarryF LarryF is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Lincroft, NJ
Posts: 1,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefkar View Post
I replaced magneto, new carb, new plug, tested kill switch and it runs but not to speed required to mow grass. Verified mag gap, plug gap, good gas. Spent too much money to quit now. What else could it be?
I'm not familiar with the machine and you didn't describe the engine, but does it have a governor which may not be adjusted properly?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-25-2007, 04:55 PM
hmartin hmartin is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: MS, zone 7b
Posts: 590
Take the spark plug out and pull the cord to make sure it is firing. If you know it is firing, half of you problems are eliminated.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-25-2007, 05:07 PM
LarryF's Avatar
LarryF LarryF is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Lincroft, NJ
Posts: 1,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmartin View Post
Take the spark plug out and pull the cord to make sure it is firing. If you know it is firing, half of you problems are eliminated.
Of course it's firing! He said it runs but not fast enough to mow with.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-25-2007, 11:48 PM
newz7151 newz7151 is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Tejas
Posts: 2,471
If this is a briggs engine, you have likely run the front of the mower under bushes or something and bent the governor spring connection point which is making the engine only run slow.
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-26-2007, 10:43 PM
jefkar jefkar is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: manchester, MO
Posts: 5
This Toro lawnmower has a 6.5 hp Tecumseh Engine --- I worked with the spring linkage yesterday and found that is the problem --- however I have a new problem in that I'm unsure how the spring & linkage reconnects together --- newz7151 Do you have a diagram for this engine? --- that would be helpful --- I appreciate all replies ---- thanks
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-27-2007, 09:03 AM
LarryF's Avatar
LarryF LarryF is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Lincroft, NJ
Posts: 1,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefkar View Post
This Toro lawnmower has a 6.5 hp Tecumseh Engine --- I worked with the spring linkage yesterday and found that is the problem --- however I have a new problem in that I'm unsure how the spring & linkage reconnects together --- newz7151 Do you have a diagram for this engine? --- that would be helpful --- I appreciate all replies ---- thanks
This site has a PDF of the Tecumseh service manual. Maybe you can find what you're looking for there.

http://www.cpdonline.com/692509.pdf
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-27-2007, 07:23 PM
jefkar jefkar is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: manchester, MO
Posts: 5
Thanks LarryF --- the site does help --- appreciate it.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:33 PM.

Page generated in 0.08328 seconds with 8 queries