Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-26-2007, 12:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Liens are working, but how do you release them?

Last summer a lady stiffed us on a st augustine sod installation. After giving her every chance in the world to pay, we realized we were getting stiffed and filed a lien on the property.

She called this weekend and left a voice mail. She is selling the house. The title company called this morning as well. They are set to close in 2 days.

We have never actually done this before, so, after they pay us, how do we release the lien? We were thinking we would just send a letter on company letterhead to the title company stating that she had paid in full and the lien was satisfied, but is that how it works? Does the title company then make the lien go away or do we have to do something with the county to make the lien dissapear?

I can't imagine the mortgage company would let the buyer buy the house if the lien still existed, so does the title company make it go away after they know it's been satisfied?

Thanks for any and all help,
Can I Mow Your Lawn?
Old 03-26-2007, 12:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Man I'm just glad it works, but first place I would check is with the clerk or the authorities where you filed the paperwork to begin with, that would be my first stopping point. It still amazes me, how suddenly they remember and find the money sometimes lol.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:48 PM
LawnSite Member

If the seller doesn't have the cash to satisfy the lien, I GUESS (and it's a total guess) that they'll allow the sale, only the selling price drops by the amount of the lien and the title company cuts a check to the lien holder????

In other words:

Existing mortgage = $100,000
Landscaper's lien = $1,000

Sales price = $150,000

In this instance, the buyer pays $150,000 for the home to the title company. The title company give the seller $49,000 and sends $100,000 to the seller's morgage company and $1,000 to the landscaper.

I assume that's how it would work.

How else would the seller get their home equity out if they don't have cash to satisfy a lien?

Later,
Can I Mow Your Lawn?
Old 03-26-2007, 12:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

They were in no hurry to pay you so you shouldnt be in any hurry to clear the lien in my oppinion. Maybe it will teach them not to screw people.
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 03-26-2007, 01:01 PM
LawnSite Member

If I screw their closing, they could have serious damages.

Later,
Can I Mow Your Lawn?
Old 03-26-2007, 01:17 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I would just be glad I got my $$$$$$ and get out!

On our own as of 2003. Proud to be a full time, legitimate company.

Equipment we use:
Ford trucks
Pro Line and GatorMade trailer's
Gravely, Exmark, Honda and Snapper mower's
Echo trimmer's and blower's
LittleWonder equipment
BillyGoat equipment
New Holland and Dresser loader's (snow removal)
Fisher snow plow's
DownEaster and Fisher salt spreader's
TurboTurf fertilizer tank

http://jandblawncare.net
Old 03-26-2007, 01:24 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

the title company will work with you on this. You have to sign a form releasing intrest in the property. Just like a bank must do it when they have a financial intrest in a property they are the 1st lienholder until the motage is satisfied.

In this case you could be 1st if the house is paid for outright...2nd if no one else has a lien... 3rd or 4th or so on. All liens must be satisfied before the home can change owners. Dont drag your feet on this. Do it quickly and professionally. It says more about your company that dragging your feet and getting "revenge" Get paid and be gone.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I used to be on the board of a HOA and had to place liens on several properties for not paying yearly dues. It was always the homeowners responsibilty (leagally) to have the lien removed before the property could be sold. We never had to do anything additional other than sign off that it was payed.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:09 PM
LawnSite Member

PM me with your phone number and I'll explain how the process works. I was a mortgage broker for a number of years before getting into the green industry.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can I Mow Your Lawn? View Post
Last summer a lady stiffed us on a st augustine sod installation. After giving her every chance in the world to pay, we realized we were getting stiffed and filed a lien on the property.

She called this weekend and left a voice mail. She is selling the house. The title company called this morning as well. They are set to close in 2 days.

We have never actually done this before, so, after they pay us, how do we release the lien? We were thinking we would just send a letter on company letterhead to the title company stating that she had paid in full and the lien was satisfied, but is that how it works? Does the title company then make the lien go away or do we have to do something with the county to make the lien dissapear?

I can't imagine the mortgage company would let the buyer buy the house if the lien still existed, so does the title company make it go away after they know it's been satisfied?

Thanks for any and all help,
Can I Mow Your Lawn?

The lawyer handling the closing will take care of it. I worked on a forclosure property this spring and it took 90 days to get paid. Lots of hands passing the paper work around.