Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-09-2000, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Member

I have about 5 lawns that want me to re-define the edges of their mulch beds. So I have to get an edger. I am a small business w/ about 25 customers. Does a stick edger do the job for re-defining mulch beds? Will a cheap MTD stick edger do the job for me???
Old 03-09-2000, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

how did you get 25 customers so fast, that is great !! i use a stick edger for all my edging (shindaiwa le230)<p>----------<br>CJC Landscape Management<br>Winter Haven, Florida
Old 03-09-2000, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think the scope of edging should first be determined. If the beds are in good shape, I mean if they have been edged on a regular basis and still have a good edge on them, then a stick edger will probably work.<p>If the beds are in good shape, you may need to edge out more material, and may want to think about something heavier. In the spring, I usually go all out and use a edging shovel and cut out a nice deep edge. Also, Im always reshaping the beds here and there (Every year it seems like i'm not happy with the flow/look of the lines) The deep edge looks real sharp then when I put mulch in. <p>Personally, I think the stick edgers are great for maintaining the edges during the year, but for that first spring one, I prefer to use a edging shovel and/or something a bit more beefier. <p>A couple of guys by me have those edgers that<br>mount on the front of your rider mowers. They seem to like them from what I can tell, but they look somewhat limited in use. It may be something to check out though, especially in a commercial application.
Old 03-09-2000, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Just one more thing. Some of the edging machines out there work pretty good. We used the turfco machine once and does a nice job. It has a L-shaped blade that cuts a nice, deep edge. Of course, though you have to go back and shovel it clean. <p>From my experiences, the machines work great what you have nice soil. However, if the soil is rocky, hard, has roots, etc., the machines loose their value quick. The turfco especially. It just bouces around rocks and does little in hard ground. Sometimes the best way is the old way, and that is to just cut it in with a edging shovel (a flat shovel works too)
Old 03-10-2000, 07:10 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We use a trenchmaster (I think that's what it's called) w/ a 9hp Honda. It has a blade specifically deisgned to edge mulch beds and does them nicely and QUICK. It is the model with the steerable rear wheels.<p>I know, Grassboy, that's out of your range right now, but that's the best unit we're aware of at this point.
Old 03-10-2000, 07:18 AM
LawnSite Member

Go to your local equipment rental store and ask for a v-groove edger.I think that they have a 8 horsepower Honda engine.They are so quick that you could rent one and edge all of the beds before you returned it.
Old 03-10-2000, 07:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey lazer, <p>does that trenchmaster till up the debris also, or does it just cut a edge and you have to go back with a shovel to clean up afterwards. I've seen some machines that edge and till, throwing debris back into the bed so you can mulch right over it.<br>
Old 03-10-2000, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Lazer, It is called a trenchmaster. We have been renting 1 for 2 years and finally bought it this year. It works great. Also good for digging small trenches. <br>Steve- it kicks the dirt back into the bed. We usually go behind it with a string trimmer to clean up the edges. You may have to spread the dirt around a little but that takes no time and little effort. Once you use one you'll wonder how you got along without it.<br>Mark A Musolf
Old 03-11-2000, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks all,<p>I am strongly considering renting something at this point, and using it for a day to do all my customer's beds. Does anyone have anymore specifics on how that v-groove edger works???? That sounds kinda like what I am looking for.
Old 03-11-2000, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That trenchmaster is really the way to fly.<p>I just traded our last TurfCo bed edger for a power fertilizer spreader/sprayer today. I'm buying another trenchmaster. TurfCo's are decent for re-mulching, but you still have to pick up the sod. The trenchmaster is way quicker and easier to handle while edging. <p>Plus you can use it on new landscapes.