Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-28-2007, 08:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

pavers over septic

First off like I have said in other treads I am not a hardscaper now, maybe In the future. I just get on here to learn and I enjoy looking at you guys work it amazes me. I haven't seen this question before so here it goes.When there is no other choice how do you lay pavers over somthing like a septic tank lid. You can't tamp road base or for that matter anything on top of it. But once it is on there you have to be able to easily lift th pavers off. The only thing i was able to come up w/ was that you lay pavers over everything but the lid, use paver edging around the left over square where the lid is , then just set the pavers on top the lid no base, no sand, nothing so they can easily be lifted off. But the only down fall is there is no way to asure that they are level, so then it becomes a hazard. Has any one done this or can it not be done?
Old 03-28-2007, 02:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm assuming you are talking about the clean-out lid?

Don't know that there's an exact "right" answer, but there's probably a lot of wrong ones.

If it had to be *all* paved, I'd have to run into the situation to tell you what I'd do specifically, but depending on the size of the lid, I'd probably be looking to bond some thinner pavers (cut to 1/2 the normal hieght) to either some sort of structural-type of concrete that sat on a "footer" of sorts that was poured around the lid, or if the lid was small enough, bond the thinner pavers to a piece of 3/4" marine grade plywood. The idea would be to cover the lid, but still leave access to it.

In either case, the customer would be left with EXPLICIT instructions to NOT drive anything over that area, and that we would NOT be liable for anything after we left the site.

If it didn't need to be paved entirely, I'd look at some sort of stepping stone-type of inlay over the lid....
Old 03-28-2007, 05:17 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Id just make it a planter around the lid. Simple enough.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You can put pavers over a concrete septic tank, and if you so desire, you can probably put them over the lid too.

The concrete tanks can usually withstand around 10,000# on them.

The lids are a different story.

Also, does the tank have 'risers' for the lids?

The best thing to do is as MRUSK said - put a planter over the lid.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I can't put a planter over the lid because it is a side walk it will only be average 3-4 foot wide. I could maybe do that if it was really wide or a patio it just will not work right in this applacation. It is the clean out lid about 2 ft by 2ft as for the risers I am not sure. The idea of the plywood would probably work, but what do you do to have a nice tight gap between the pavers on the plywood and the ones that don't move? If it is to tight of a gap you can't get the wood up can you? Or do you just have to have a gap and that is the only option? DVS said that the tanks will hold 10,000 pounds so does that mean I can compact on top of it I didn't think that I could but 10k is alot. If not how do you lay on the tanks? Once again I am sorry if this kind of question is stupid and something I should know but I am uneducated on hardscapes I am trying to do 2-3 smaller easier jobs to see if this is somthing I want to get in to. I think it is because ever time I see a hardscape I light up like a little kid and I love seeing somthing evolve from nothing so please bear with me I am just tring to find a job that is also somthing I love. Thanks for all of your help.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't have all the answers, as I don't know all the answers!

The weight that a septic tank can withstand will vary. Most tanks theirselves can withstand many thousands of pounds of weight. But do not take my word for it.

We have only ever once put a patio over a tank. We even ran the skid loader over it. But that doesn't mean we weren't playing with fire.

If you're in washington county and you end up damaging the tank - give us a call and we'll replace it! We install septic systems too

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know about septic tanks, but we made several trips over the catch basin in this driveway to bring the stone in. I would imagine you could run a plate over it.
Attached Images

Old 03-30-2007, 07:29 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

We have only done it once on a large patio, in the country. The guy wasn't to fussy so we just installed a 2'x2' patio slab right over the tank lid. Left no guessing as to where the lid was.
Old 03-31-2007, 03:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for your input I will have to think about it and bring up some of your suggestions to the customer