Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-29-2007, 12:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Bad Boy Mowers

How good are these Bad Bay mowers, pros and cons. Tractor supply just started selling them in this area, but I don't have a clue who would service them and keep parts.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:32 AM
LawnSite Member

The local dealer in my area quit carrying them because dealer support stunk and a local service bought 6 or 8 of them at cost directly from BAD BOY and found they were inferior to there Hustler's in build quality. They told me the 2 and 3 year old Hustler's they were running were more reliable than the new bad boy's that had way less than a year on them. for 2007 they went back to Hustler.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:54 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRF500 View Post
The local dealer in my area quit carrying them because dealer support stunk and a local service bought 6 or 8 of them at cost directly from BAD BOY and found they were inferior to there Hustler's in build quality. They told me the 2 and 3 year old Hustler's they were running were more reliable than the new bad boy's that had way less than a year on them. for 2007 they went back to Hustler.
Well, this seems to be one of the few complaints I've seen on these mowers. I'll have to completely disagree that they are "inferior" to Hustler in build quality. Don't get me wrong, the Hustlers are awesome machines but you really need to see the BB in person to do them justice. Hands down they have to be one of (if not the heaviest) built machine on the market to date. Use the search, you will find several threads on the BB. Here is a link to my recent post after I physically checked them out at a local show. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...hlight=bad+boy Not to mention the price to value ratio is off the charts. They provide more hp than most mfg on their smaller decks and also have a price point that is well below most of the competition. Give them a look.

CRF, I understand your "dealer" may have had issues with them but you really should check them out for yourself as I think you will be impressed. I agree that support has been lacking but it seems they are coming on with a vengeance and will be here to stay now that they are building out their dealer network.

As for customer service from BB directly , check this out. I'm a measly homeowner and would only be using it on my yard. I'm not cutting commercially or looking to purchase 2 or 3 of these. I met one of the local reps at the show and we were chatting about how there are no dealers yet in my area. He happens to be passing through my area this weekend on his way to PA. He sent me an e-mail earlier this week and is now stopping by my house so I can demo the units on my yard. Not many mfg. will go out of their way like that for just a homeowner. That alone is quite impressive in my book.
- Custom striping roller
- Pingel fuel filter
- Custom FIMCO boomless spray rig

1989 John Deer 1070 Compact Tractor - 40hp/4WD
- 70 series loader
- 506 rotary mower
- box scraper
- 84" plow w/full hydo
- ballast box
- aux lights

1993 John Deere Gator 6x4
- HD Field Trax tires
- brush/fender guards
- hydraulic dump bed w/storage and bed cover
- 2" receiver hitch
- HD front suspension
Old 03-29-2007, 01:28 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I recieved a catalog from one of their reps a couple weeks ago.

They look like very well-built machines, and have a LOT of horsepower.

I'd like to demo one - only thing is the one dealer close by who carries them I don't like to deal with.

Originally posted by SLR:
Quote:
you really got off fortunate and lucky 5-0boy1!..imagine if you an her created a little 5boy1,now there's a nicely entangled chaotic toranado vise!
THE VERY BEST SOURCE OF INFO FOR THE GREEN INDUSTRY! ALL YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED!
Old 03-29-2007, 01:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I bought one for 2k6. I'm buying two more for 2k7. These rock. I did have some issues with the first one. Key switch. One spindle froze. They replaced all of them. My dealer died, and the business folded at the end of 2k6. I'm driving 55 miles to pick up my units. Go to their website. Check it out. They beat alot of the others. the price can't be beat, and the quality is better than anything else out there. and no, they don't pay me to say that.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

non-existant in my neck of the woods, who are they?

Last edited by rodfather; 03-29-2007 at 07:26 AM.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:21 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncls View Post
I bought one for 2k6. I'm buying two more for 2k7. These rock. I did have some issues with the first one. Key switch. One spindle froze. They replaced all of them. My dealer died, and the business folded at the end of 2k6. I'm driving 55 miles to pick up my units. Go to their website. Check it out. They beat alot of the others. the price can't be beat, and the quality is better than anything else out there. and no, they don't pay me to say that.
I was going to buy one in June of 2006 before I bought my Hustler. I called a dealer here in my area who was blowing themout at cost. He only had 2 left and he told me the machine was good but the dealer support was so bad he had to get rid of them. The owner of 6 of them in my area told me they had front end issues and the hydralic deck would break and the whole machine did not hold up like their Hustlers so I steered clear at thet time. I called other dealer as well and they said dealer support stunk as well. They were not honoring their warranties and leaving the dealers to foot the bill.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:43 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodfather View Post
non-existant in my neck of the woods, who are they?

www.badboymowers.com

Originally posted by SLR:
Quote:
you really got off fortunate and lucky 5-0boy1!..imagine if you an her created a little 5boy1,now there's a nicely entangled chaotic toranado vise!
THE VERY BEST SOURCE OF INFO FOR THE GREEN INDUSTRY! ALL YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED!
Old 03-29-2007, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Really?

Quote:
They only had trouble in Florida, because they were using a distributor there. They fired them last year. They caused some serious waves due to very poor performance and now they are using a factory direct rep and he is doing a great job down there. A local service did not buy factory direct at any kind of discount. Maybe from the distributor and that would be one reason they are gone. As for being inferior to the Hustler, not hardly.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:10 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
I run them and my dealers biggest complaint is they don't break enough. He is starving to sell parts. As for being inferior to Hustler. I have had both and that statement makes me laugh Hustler makes a nice piece but Bad Boy is built like nobody's business. Check them out and look at them closely top to bottom. They have improvements to make in some areas. But if you know anything about machinery you will be impressed.

Bad Boy Mowers
Kawasaki Equipment