Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-29-2007, 09:26 AM
Moderator, Online Communities

Pine Needles Survey

Background: A company is being launched to offer easy access to high quality Long Leaf Pine Needles (10”-14” in length) to be shipped via UPS or truck to all areas outside of the southeastern U.S. (where Pine Needles are readily available). You will have the ability to call in the order or place an order online and have the product shipped within 48 hours. Many people visit the south and return home to the north, having thoughts of landscaping their beds with Pine Needles; however, they are unable to locate a supplier of quality Pine Needles that offers shipping. To the landscaper or nursery, this is an opportunity to differentiate your business from the competition by offering this unique product. The landscaper or nursery can also offer to spread the pine needles at an additional charge. I have seen in the north where one homeowner switches to pine needles from mulch, another homeowner in the neighborhood switches after seeing the final results. Who does the second homeowner call? The company who supplied the first homeowner. There are no shipping minimums.

Question:

If you, as a landscaper or nursery, had easy access to quality Pine Needles to offer your customers as an alternative to mulch, would you be interested in adding Pine Needles to your product offering?

Please respond within this thread...thanks.
Old 04-08-2007, 05:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes I would be interested
Old 06-02-2007, 01:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes I would be interested in it
Old 06-03-2007, 03:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldn't mind learning about being a shipper and supplier of them, but unfortunately could not use them here because of the high fire danger. Any burnable "debri"... and that includes dead pine needles, has to be kept at least 100' away from any structure by law here.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm interested. Please provide more information.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Member

I would have to see how it caught on up north. Maybe its just me but i always thought the pine needles down south looked horrible.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:33 PM
LawnSite Member

We might be interested in selling them here in the Wash DC metro area, MD, & many portions of VA. We are a regional landscape supply company. I know of one landscape company that installs them so it would be good to at least know where I get them in case it becomes more popular.

Thanx, -Gary

Last edited by Michael J. Donovan; 11-02-2007 at 01:58 PM. Reason: email address
Old 11-03-2007, 08:52 AM
LawnSite Member

messy

no, pine needles are just messy and i would not use them on any high end property.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

My wealthiest customer, multi-millionaire, uses pine needles for mulch. It was recommended by the termite man over bark or wood chips, they don't want rock, and do not like the new rubber mulch.

One of their neighbors (either wealthy or in hock) used it and put it in black and thin. It almost looks like asphalt. Maybe it would look okay in color and layed down thick.

Just about every nursery and big box here sells baled pine straw, but most people here want dyed wood chips, and imho this mulch is faster and easier to spread than pine straw, but pine straw looks just as good imho.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If we knew they where free of pests and the cost was low, hell yes. Everyone wants what the other guy does not have.

http://www.pr-fectlawn.com