Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-26-2001, 02:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Starting Out Need Help Bad.

PLAN ON STARTING A PART-TIME LAWN CUTTING SERVICE AND LAWN CUTTING ONLY. WHERE I LIVE IN, MA, IS A BOUT 900 HOUSES WITH 1/2 LOTS AND REALLY NO GUYS AROUND CUTTING LAWNS.

DURING THIS WINTER I WILL BUY THE NEEDED EQUIPMENT FOR THIS SERVICE. I WANT TO KEEP THIS VERY SIMPLE BUT MAKE A FEW BUCKS AND GIVE THE PEOPLE A GOOD SERVICE AND ALSO NOT LOOSE MY SHIRT OR HOUSE.

THIS IS ALL NEW TO ME ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT.
Old 07-26-2001, 02:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Okay,

I'll start you off with a Lawn SIte Intro class! BTW, welcome to L.S.!

Anyway, #1, turn your caps lock off or the wolves here will eat you alive!

#2 READ READ and then READ somemore!! There are thousands of threads here that you can research so you don't have to ask such a broad question as that.

#3 Use the search function at the top of the page or just browse through the archives and read the posts that you feel are intresting.

Hope this helps a little, and I know this site will be a huge help if you useit the right way.

Good Luck!
Old 07-26-2001, 04:28 PM
LawnSite Member

I was just thinking today how much easier my life would be today if I had started with a business plan 6 years ago. I've done well, but I could have avoided a lot of trouble with the business plan. The business plan should cover budget, target market, anticipated revenue, anticipated growth, operations breakdown (who does each job, and what is each job), fallback strategy, financing, workmanship standards, and so on. The more detailed it is the less surprises you'll run into.
Old 07-26-2001, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Only Part-Time

Only going to do this Part-Time not looking for BIg Big Money just some extra enjoy working outside. This Area is a Gold Mine for Grass Cutting so many people ask me how I keep my lawn so good and if I could Help them. Just want to make some extra cash.

Do I have to have Ins? What will it cost?

Do I have to have a Lic.

What can I claim on my Taxes? IF anything?
Old 07-26-2001, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Welcome JJohn -

#4: Read lessons #1,2,3 from Guido again. If you follow them they will provide you with the answers.

Many of the members here have answered these same questions many times. I can't speak for them, but when I see the same question the 5th time, I just don't even respond. And that may happen to your threads, nobody will respond, because they've answered them before, sometimes in voluminous depth.

If you're going to buy the eqpt this winter, you have time to read now. When I was investigating snow plowing last winter, I spent weeks just reading old threads. There's tons of great info in here.
Old 07-27-2001, 04:22 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

WAIT ONE MINUTE HERE!!

Something doesn't click very well here. It was brought to my attention by a friend (because I didn't notice) that you have been registered since August 2000!!!!!!!

If your telling me you've read and looked around this site for a year now and haven't answered your questions yet, there's something wrong!
Old 07-27-2001, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes found this Web Site in 2000 and Bookmarked it at that time this was not a thought. This site is Great for info on lawn care and other things. Now this seems like a good Idea when I see all the Houses around here with the Grass uncut..
Old 08-13-2001, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

In that case you have 1 year worth of threads to read. Boy do you have some long nights ahead of you.

You need to figure out what size the lawns are, the gates to enter, the level of cut quality (sidedischarge look or bagged look), amount you have to invest, your level of knowledge, and the list goes on. Jump in to just cut grass and you will end up working for a little of nothing, because you will not know your expenses and how to manage you cash flow. Think from a business standpoint if you want to suceed.
Old 08-15-2001, 05:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Do something else....this buisness is getting way overcrowded...here shortly we will have to pay to mow someones lawn....
Old 08-25-2001, 12:08 PM
LawnSite Member

NOWAY

Enjoy being outside and working for myself not going to do something else. I wish everyone that starts a buisness the best of luck. I would NEVER knock someone for trying.