Old 04-01-2007, 04:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
What do you think Ric? Jay?
Old 04-02-2007, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

carcinogenicity

According to the EPA, dithiopyr (Dimension) falls under "Group E" as showing "Evidence of Non-carcinogenicity for Humans." Not so for pendimethalin or prodiamine, they're in "Group C."
Old 04-06-2007, 07:29 AM
LawnSite Member

All fertilizers, pesticides and herbicides are poison. Nitrogen alone wreaks havoc with run off to the environment. MSDS Labels for a particular product are just that, for that particular product. Read the labels. Almost all say no "potential" carcinogen. No or low "relative" toxicity. The chemicals are looked at in isolation in terms of relative toxicity and being carcinogens. Reality is we as applicators don't just use one chemical. All of us, applicators, customers and the general public are exposed to the compound affect. One chemical in and of itself "may' not be an issue, but in combination with all the other things we are exposed to as humans, the risks increase exponentially. Anyone who denies this or tries to minimize these facts, is BSing, lying or in denial. Chemicals are however an important part of our business'. Most of us would not be able to do what we do without them.

I have been in business 17 years. Having said the above, here in Oregon if the amount of chemicals you use in terms of dollar value for application is 10% of your gross or less, and you don't advertise weed or pesticide control, you DO NOT need a license. All the chemicals I use are not restricted use so I do not need a license which is a given. One cannot get restricted use without a license. I fall into the above category for no license needed. I use 6 chemicals on a regular or seasonal basis: Roundup (7gal.), Speedzone(2gal.), Dimension(2,5 gal.), Surflan(2.5 gal.) and Crossbow, less than a gal.. I also use Ad Buff, but it does not come under EPA control. I use about 2 ton of SCU fertilizers and that is the sum total of my chemical use. I don't use any Pesticides as we virtually have no pest issues except for Crane Fly Larvae. Over the 17 years in business I have had a serious infestation of Cranefly Larvae on less than 1% of my customers.

I thoroughly research everything product I use. I read the labels and MSDS on all the products. I also have a very knowledgeable rep at Simplot that I can call on at anytime for any reason on any product.

I also live in a relatively rural area. I more than understand when you have a big population and don't want the everyday idiot running around and hazardously applying or even using chemicals. Although chemical use is an issue here in terms of the environment and runoff, the greatest issue is farm use. The quantities farmers use, how they use them and the subsequent run off is doing nasty stuff to the environment, particularly ground water and wells. Farmers are not regulated very strictly and get away with a lot. In time, I am sure as the population increases, a pesticide/herbicide applicator's license will be required.

Last edited by hughmcjr; 04-06-2007 at 07:33 AM.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm not trying to hijack this topic and hope it won't be looked as such, but since you're discussing how these chemicals affect people one of the questions that came to mind as I was reading this is -- how do you protect yourselves when applying chemicals? Do you wear protection like a respirator and overalls/gloves/boots or do you simply apply the chemicals on non-windy days and hope that not too much gets on you?

I just bought a 40 gallon tow-behind sprayer with a boom and wand and was wondering what precautions I need to take. I'm a homeowner, just doing this on my own property.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:49 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATV View Post
I'm not trying to hijack this topic and hope it won't be looked as such, but since you're discussing how these chemicals affect people one of the questions that came to mind as I was reading this is -- how do you protect yourselves when applying chemicals? Do you wear protection like a respirator and overalls/gloves/boots or do you simply apply the chemicals on non-windy days and hope that not too much gets on you?

I just bought a 40 gallon tow-behind sprayer with a boom and wand and was wondering what precautions I need to take. I'm a homeowner, just doing this on my own property.
The product label will tell you what is required for personal protection.
What are you spraying and why?

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 07-15-2009, 08:08 AM
LawnSite Member

I'll be spraying several times this summer. Initially I'll be spraying to kill weeds. A few weeks later I want to spray fertilizer. I picked up some stuff with 2-4-D in it at fleet, that is intended to kill most broadleaf weeds. I'm out of town right now and hence can't post the brand name or or other details.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATV View Post
I'll be spraying several times this summer. Initially I'll be spraying to kill weeds. A few weeks later I want to spray fertilizer. I picked up some stuff with 2-4-D in it at fleet, that is intended to kill most broadleaf weeds. I'm out of town right now and hence can't post the brand name or or other details.
Liscenced applicators are allowed 2 times per year for spraying broadleaf containing 2,4d in Wisco.
Therefore we make the most of it, by spraying in the fall which works really well and in the late spring which also has killing effect.

When the plant is actively growing is the rule of thumb in order for the spray to be effective. Anyone spraying in the heat of summer is just polluting the environment and taking risks, for minimal benefit. The weeds are not really that suseptible right now, because they are not sucking the stuff in as they will be in the fall.

How much 2,4d was you planning on spraying onto your ground?
Old 07-16-2009, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughmcjr View Post
All fertilizers, pesticides and herbicides are poison. Nitrogen alone wreaks havoc with run off to the environment. MSDS Labels for a particular product are just that, for that particular product. Read the labels. Almost all say no "potential" carcinogen. No or low "relative" toxicity. The chemicals are looked at in isolation in terms of relative toxicity and being carcinogens. Reality is we as applicators don't just use one chemical. All of us, applicators, customers and the general public are exposed to the compound affect. One chemical in and of itself "may' not be an issue, but in combination with all the other things we are exposed to as humans, the risks increase exponentially. Anyone who denies this or tries to minimize these facts, is BSing, lying or in denial. Chemicals are however an important part of our business'. Most of us would not be able to do what we do without them.

I have been in business 17 years. Having said the above, here in Oregon if the amount of chemicals you use in terms of dollar value for application is 10% of your gross or less, and you don't advertise weed or pesticide control, you DO NOT need a license. All the chemicals I use are not restricted use so I do not need a license which is a given. One cannot get restricted use without a license. I fall into the above category for no license needed. I use 6 chemicals on a regular or seasonal basis: Roundup (7gal.), Speedzone(2gal.), Dimension(2,5 gal.), Surflan(2.5 gal.) and Crossbow, less than a gal.. I also use Ad Buff, but it does not come under EPA control. I use about 2 ton of SCU fertilizers and that is the sum total of my chemical use. I don't use any Pesticides as we virtually have no pest issues except for Crane Fly Larvae. Over the 17 years in business I have had a serious infestation of Cranefly Larvae on less than 1% of my customers.

I thoroughly research everything product I use. I read the labels and MSDS on all the products. I also have a very knowledgeable rep at Simplot that I can call on at anytime for any reason on any product.

I also live in a relatively rural area. I more than understand when you have a big population and don't want the everyday idiot running around and hazardously applying or even using chemicals. Although chemical use is an issue here in terms of the environment and runoff, the greatest issue is farm use. The quantities farmers use, how they use them and the subsequent run off is doing nasty stuff to the environment, particularly ground water and wells. Farmers are not regulated very strictly and get away with a lot. In time, I am sure as the population increases, a pesticide/herbicide applicator's license will be required.
Ah, hate to inform you but you do use pesticides if you were to look up the definition of pesticide. According to your post you should state that you don't use insecticides.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:49 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinto n mwr View Post
Ah, hate to inform you but you do use pesticides if you were to look up the definition of pesticide. According to your post you should state that you don't use insecticides.
Pinto,

His post was over 2 years old. Maybe by now the state has caught up with him & educated him.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 07-17-2009, 07:56 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

2 years old WTF?