Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-04-2014, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Member

New Company Questions and more

I am currently working full time but would like to start my own landscape and lawn company this season. I want to currently work full time until I am able to build up the clients to break off and work for my own company full time. I have a few questions that I seem a little lost on.

Here are the questions:

1. Prices (How much should I be charging for landscape work, hard-scape work, lawn mowing and fall cleanups?)

2. Plowing (What should I be charging for plowing? If there is a lot of back dragging involved should I charge more or does that not matter? How do I figure how much salt is needed for parking lots?)

Those are the two questions that I have for now I am sure I will think of some more. Thank you for your help. I am excited to start something and make it as big as I can.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

you gotta help us out man. more details. we will be happy to help if you let us know approximate lawn sizes. why are you wanting to get in to this industry? do you have a business plan? post it. let us critique it.

also, there are posts about the same thing, on this page, you dont even have to go past page 3 to find 5 of these threads.
Attached Images

Old 02-06-2014, 02:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Plowing - Charge by the size of the lot (Per acre approx $185.00 we charge + Salt) and this goes for salting as well. You can use http://www.mapdevelopers.com/area_finder.php to help you figure out the size. Depending on how much salt you throw, we estimate about 1/2 ton per acre to be safe and avoid any slip and falls. Driveways all depend on the amount of work involved because some cannot be plowed and snow throwers need to be used. For a driveway approx. 1300sqft, we would normally charge $25 per push, which includes sideways and steps.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:40 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiolandscape View Post
I am currently working full time but would like to start my own landscape and lawn company this season. I want to currently work full time until I am able to build up the clients to break off and work for my own company full time. I have a few questions that I seem a little lost on.

Here are the questions:

1. Prices (How much should I be charging for landscape work, hard-scape work, lawn mowing and fall cleanups?)

2. Plowing (What should I be charging for plowing? If there is a lot of back dragging involved should I charge more or does that not matter? How do I figure how much salt is needed for parking lots?)

Those are the two questions that I have for now I am sure I will think of some more. Thank you for your help. I am excited to start something and make it as big as I can.
If I may ask, if you have no experience and haven't done this before…why are you going into this?

Im really interested in this answer.

I grew up on a farm.
My first job (outside of home) was on a lobster boat (we lived 7 miles from the sea) I almost killed myself after a pot got wrapped around my leg (yea I know greenhorn)
My second Job was as a butcher's apprentice…the place burned down and rebuild.
At 17, my third job was landscaping…. been doing it ever since.
I worked for someone else for over 5 years before i even thought of trying it myself… and even then I went back to work for someone else.

This isn't something you just go do without experience… maybe in 1980 when there were no precedents, expectations and competition…. but not now.

Tags
hardscape , landscaping , mowing