Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-26-2001, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Reseed after RoundUp Pro

I have read the label over and over and I can not figure out how soon after I apply RoundUp Pro can I apply new seed? The area I am spraying is about 15'x15' and the weeds are thick and about 4" tall. Can anyone explain what part of the label gives this information.
Old 07-26-2001, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My label is separated into "chapters" for lack of a better word, and there is a table of contents in the beginning. The section you want is in the Site & Use Recomendations chapter. From there find the General Noncrop Areas and Industrial Sites section. From there find the highlighted section Turfgrass Renovation, Seed or Sod Production. The specific information you are looking for is there. (I just happened to have it in front of me LOL)
Old 07-27-2001, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Member

That is the part I am confused on. It seems to me that they are recommending you wait 7 days to see that all weeds are killed. Is this a must or can I take the chance of the majority of the weeds being killed and reseed sooner?
Old 07-28-2001, 09:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Dave,

You can reseed the same day as application but if you miss controlling all the exisiting weeds then you now have these weeds growing within your nice newly seeded lawn. The weeds that survive will generally be the hardier perennial weeds such as violet or dandelion that you reallly want to kill out completely using the roundup as they are harder to control using other spray options.

PS I think BRLs point was to make you read the label yourself and you will learn alot more about what it is your using. Im noticing a trend of alot of people (not implying you) on lawnsite asking the most basic of questions because they dont want to do their own homework. If as in your case you've done that and need more clarity then most are willing to help.
Old 07-28-2001, 09:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for your help. I was just in the process of rereading the label when your reply came threw. I guess what you kind of said was right. I understood (from reading) that you could reseed right away but you would be taking a chance of all the weeds not being killed. I guess I was just looking for confirmation. I have a business that is having a party in two weeks and they have this area that needs the new grass. I am going to take the chance just to get the grass started before thier party. I figure if I spray then seed, I can wait seven days then cut the weeds down at about the same time the grass is popping up. I hope this is going to work. Again thanks for your help.
Old 07-28-2001, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Dave,

One word for you, SOD. Only way to improve an area that quickly and cost will be minimal and the impact immediate. See if you can get the client to go for it.
Old 07-28-2001, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Dave, Why would you not use a broadleaf control such as Trimec? This would not kill the existing fescue if there is any. Of course with Trimec you can not see for a couple of weeks.
Old 07-28-2001, 10:12 PM
Millenium Member

A 15 x 15 area would be sodded if it was me if possible. I wait 7 days after round-up if I re-seed.

Ray
Old 07-29-2001, 02:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Waiting one week after spraying Roundup to seed has always worked well for me. ED