Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-30-2001, 03:58 PM
LawnSite Member

I have never used one, but why not use a mulch blower? I would guess maybe they are too expensive and there fore hard to rent?
Old 07-30-2001, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

dingo vs skid steer

I was originally planning on buying the Dingo too. But after alot of research on capacitis and capabilities I chose to get a full size skid steer. For the money it was more cost effective. $13k for a dingo is crazy. It can only lift what 500 lbs.. I can do that myself.. plus attachments are limited.. I do alittle of everything , from maint to construction and I need to move pallets of stone and dig up trees and grade and move soil and so on and the dingos just not gonna cut it and it does not appear to be too safe either , What happens if it flips with you on it . it's gonna hurt !.. And since they both do damage to the turf why limit yourself .. A few thousand dollars more and you can have it all.. Just my feelings thats why I baught the NH LS160.... Good luck....
Old 08-01-2001, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Evan528
Tell me straight out....... should I part with 13 grand and buy one or put that money towards payroll for labor?
This is a basic business question that will apply to almost any business.

Many folks will say that anything that will reduce labor is a good thing. It can be a good thing, but it is not automatically a good thing.

Lets say that you decide to put that money twords labor. You will use up that 13K pretty fast. However, if your business slows, or even stops, you can stop those payroll payments. Yes, there are the tax liabilities that you will have to pay, but, esentially, you can stop that spending at any time.

Lets say that you decide to purchase the machine. You are obligated to make the monthly payments regardless of what you r business is doing. If things are slow, the bank does not care, they only want their money. You could be forced into selling the machine at a loss if things got really bad.

Now, this may not be the worst case scenerio with the purchase of a dingo, it is not all that large of a purchase, BUT, with more and larger items, it can come into play.
Old 08-01-2001, 10:08 PM
Lawnsite Addict

Iron is cheap

I look at Iron (equipment) as being cheap.
First, it allows us to do work faster, yes it requires feeding every day (fuel, oil, grease) plus some TLC.
Second, I don't have to pay matching SS and Medicare.
Third, Labor is not cheap here so if I cut it down by doing work faster I'm putting more money in my pocket!

The real thing to look at is ROI- Return On Investment
or How fast the equipment pays for it's self.
Heres an example, we bought a Preperator, the first week we had it we needed to install 7,000 yds of sod at a school, the ground was littered with rock mostly from a haul road they had put in around the school, to hand pick the rock we would have had to have a crew of men there for a week plus equipment to grade it, (we hauled out 6 semi loads of rock) instead we used three men to grade it in one day, started installing sod the next day, so for a $5600 investment we completed a job in three days instead of a week and a half made more money on the job and were able to move to a new job faster.
Old 08-02-2001, 05:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Paul you are right on about iron being cheap

One thing that I have done, seeing that my company is small is to get to know all the rental equipment in my area. I deal with about 6 rental shops and this way there is always the perfect piece of equipment for the job. Anything from a trencher to a mini hoe to small skidsteer to a large skid to compactors etc. I found that if you buy equipment you have to keep it working to make them pay. Rent may be expensive if you use equipment a lot but is a great way to keep the overhead low. Also if I have to do a large excavation I hire a guy with the right equipment and truck. Speeds the job cause he does that type of work every day. I have decided against buying a large truck and anything more than the tools I use daily (transit, cutoff saws hand tools etc) because with a 6 month business it is more economical to sub out or rent as required. If material can't fit in my pickup my supliers are glad to deliver it to the site and with the booms and such on their trucks they can usually place it just where it is needed. When I worked for a large company with all the heavy equipment, it was fun but it was also expensive to maintain, insure and find qualified operators. Also the Ministry of Transportation makes life miserable for trucks here in Ontario.
Old 08-02-2001, 07:12 PM
LawnSite Member

SCAPEASAURUSREX,
If you plan on loading a truck i would recommend going with a real skidsteer. I have a bobcat 553 that is rated at 900 lbs and will fit through a 4' gate, it loads my 10 tonne truck in about 20 minutes. I use my ' MIGHTY MOUSE ' every day. Better labour couldn't be had at twice the price.

Dan,
I hate to say it out loud but the truck cops have been good to me so far this year. Only pulled over twice so far, clean getaway both times!!:blob3:
Old 08-02-2001, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Diggin

Remember 3rd time lucky
Old 08-07-2001, 06:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

skid or dingo

:blob3: :blob1: :blob4: Evan, the dingo has a model which has tracts on it and is almost flawless on turf, i have a dingo and a skid, though i love the dingo it can not load a dump truck, the best you'll do is loadin a dump truck while the dingo is on the sidewalk. If the machine is going to save you labor and time you'll have an extra 13k to put down on a skid/tractor. i purchased my dingo used w/ 145 hrs on it, i dont think i would have purchased it new just because i think 13k is alot for such a small machine, when compared to a small skid steer you can buy for 18k. If you have the work then go bigger, because the first job that comes by where the dingo is to small and you have to rent a skid, you'll kick yourself. P.S. i purchased a Caterpillar and absolutely love it. T.
Old 08-07-2001, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Man, $13,000 for those little Dingo's. It's only money, right?.... LOL. Well, every piece of equipment has it's purpose. If you have enough work for the machine to pay it off and keep making money with it, I'd tell you to buy one. But if you're really not sure you're going to use it alot or not sure about how much business you can get with it, I'd say not to buy one. I try to look at how much I can make before I buy my equipment, where I can use it, how I can use it, and if it will pay for itself this year. These are all things I considered when I bought my new mower. I figured I could pay it off this year, it makes me $250 a month at one job, I can use it to target larger properties that the competition doesn't do. So, I guess it comes down to how much you like spreading mulch . Good luck and happy shopping.

Go hard, go fast, or go home
Old 08-07-2001, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

By the time you get the trailer with attachments and the Dingo, you've put out almost $30K. You'd better work in a lot of townhouse backyards to get a return on that investment.