Old 04-03-2007, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Rolling lawns

Is it good or bad to roll yards?

Thanks for your input
Opher
Old 04-03-2007, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I can speak for a lot of members on this site. Do not roll a lawn because it will not let air quality into the ground. On top of that it's going to do harm to the type off grass your dealing with. JMO

fluid film- the official sponser of sflqpru
Old 04-04-2007, 12:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Why would you roll a lawn? Is it too bumpy? I could see maybe rolling to flatn it out, but you would need to aerate it afterward to allow oxygen back into the soil as well as water and fert. But if a lawn is too rough, u may be better off bringing in some good top soil and smoothing it out from there.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:16 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mow2nd View Post
Why would you roll a lawn? Is it too bumpy? I could see maybe rolling to flatten it out, but you would need to aerate it afterward to allow oxygen back into the soil as well as water and fert. But if a lawn is too rough, u may be better off bringing in some good top soil and smoothing it out from there.
I had a customer ask me if i could roll her lawn, yes it has bumps, it must of happened over the winter, it was not this bad last year. I see lots of people doing it. My dad has done it for years and his lawn is beautiful. I just recently read that it is not good for the lawn. I just wanted peoples input.
Thanks
Old 04-04-2007, 12:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well if that's what you should do knock urself out. I'm a bit south from you and it's not something we do here, but it could be the thing to do in your area. Your best bet is to talk to people in your own area, not here. People on here are stupid and can't seem to figure out that people do different things in different regions. I've seen people in Texas ask what grass seed he should be putting down in the spring and people from Maine telln him to put down Rye. Well Rye dont grow good in the summer down here, so u know what i'm saying. Dont ask these ******s anything.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Well if that's what you should do knock urself out. I'm a bit south from you and it's not something we do here, but it could be the thing to do in your area. Your best bet is to talk to people in your own area, not here. People on here are stupid and can't seem to figure out that people do different things in different regions. I've seen people in Texas ask what grass seed he should be putting down in the spring and people from Maine telln him to put down Rye. Well Rye dont grow good in the summer down here, so u know what i'm saying. Dont ask these ******s anything.
Compaction is an enemy of any root system. When is the last time you saw a farmer out in their field with a roller? But, I have seen them using rollers in their yards. That is a mystery to me. As mow2nd says, if you feel like you need to to kill some lumps, I would aerate the lawn soon afterward. You might try dethatching and then aerating, I would think this would allow you to knock off the lumps, instead of smashing them. Also, the dirt would settle into the low spots around the lumps. I am by no means an expert on this, just throwing myself to the sharks at feeding time.

To mow2nd,

I know what you mean in your final statement above, but. For a moment, imagine reading that and you have a 16 year-old child that you have never heard a complete sentence or even a complete word come from their lips. This means that you have never heard "I love you Daddy (Mommy)" or "Please tell me a story" or "Mommy, I don't feel good" or "Can I have the keys to the car" and the list goes on and on. The reason you have never heard any of these things is because your child suffers from some form of mental ******ation. There is nothing you can do, except help them get through every single day of their life and wonder who will, if something should happen to you. I am just asking that those who refer to "normal" people as being ******s, to rethink about what they are saying. You never know who is listening or reading. I know they do not mean anything bad or to hurt anyone's feelings. But, they do.

My standard line is "People that are mentally ******ed can't help it and stupid people choose to be that way."

My wife and I have been very fortunate and our children are grown and seem to be "normal". However, we have family members who were not as lucky and have spent many days, nights and now years, praying for a miracle. The next time you see someone struggling with a person in a wheelchair, for whatever reason. Offer to help them, you will brighten their day more than you could ever imagine.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The north east states roll lawns because winter heaves the ground plus we have moles. Rolling does compact roots so try and sell aeration after you roll but explain it to the customer. Try not to go to heavy with a roller, 1 ton or less.

2000 CHEVY 2500
Country Clipper Boss 52
CUB CADET TANK 60
CUB CADET 33
GRAVELY SW21
Sthil trimmer's
Sthil edger
Sthil hedge trimmer
Sthil tiller
Echo blower's
Old 04-04-2007, 07:46 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I roll a softball field I mow but I immediatley aerate afterwards. It gets so bumpy in the fall and winter that guys have turned their ankles playing on it.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

FAN - I Never said anything about the mental handicaped.........so get a life.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
FAN - I Never said anything about the mental handicaped.........so get a life.

You didnt?