Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-04-2007, 01:25 PM
LawnSite Member

permagreen ultra dosn't spray correctly

Got a pg ultra that dosnt spray right? Pump is new. I havn't personally checked the lines but my coworker checked them. If you close one side it seems to spray well but if you leave both nozzles open one side always dosn't seem to have the right pressure or flow.

Any ideas? What does the valve up top near the tank do? The pressure unloader?

TIA
unior
Old 04-04-2007, 02:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

if you do a search you will find a couple things to check. could be a low battery, also there are a couple wires you can cut and eliminate some electrical problems. if you dont find what your looking for call Pat at perma green and I'm sure he can help you out.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like the rubber seals in the regulators are bad. This happens alot when a chem. such as 2,4-d is left in the system.
You can unscrew the "valve" you are referring to(on top of the tank and on top of each nozzle) and you will see the rubber piece. Just replace them.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

permagreen does not spray

Unior,
Indy is right.

And you are correct, that black thingy on top of the tank is the pressure unloader valve. Supposed to be set at factory to 10 pounds. And supposed to bleed excess pressure (if any) back into tank.

Clean and check the nozzles and nozzle screens and the black rubber anti-drip diaphragms for each nozzle, (also tank screen).

Close the valves and reach into tank using a measuring cup to see how many ounces per ten seconds are coming out of the bypass. I am not sure what it should be--I would estimate 10 to 20 ounces per 10 sec.

But...it is easier to check the flow rate at the little bottle filler valve at lower left of the tank. Don't know, but again about 10 to 20 ounces per 10 seconds seems about right.

How does electric start work? One of the most common problems is a low battery. Use an volt meter and check the voltage available at any hot wire. The one at the pump switch is most convenient. Anything below about 12.7 volts is too low. Put your battery charger on it.
In neutral and with the motor running full speed you should get 13 volts.
The electric power comes from the red stator wire which comes out of the left side of the BS motor. You can unplug this wire and measure the voltage coming from it at full throttle. You should get 19 volts or more. (Some say this is AC not DC volts). After the juice runs through the voltage regulator (and maybe rectifier) it should be reduced to 13 volts, DC.

I am not clear how to measure the amps available--but I know the motor draws 10 amps. You may need to put a lawn mower battery on your machine.

Also corrosion from fertilizer will quickly destroy any exposed wire. You may find that you have a ten strand wire to the pump with only 3 strands unbroken. You will still have 12 volts but not enough power to push the pump. Install fresh wire (fatter wire) and cover all splices with heavy tape or hot glue to be sure fully waterproof.