Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-05-2007, 05:58 PM
LawnSite Member

best mower for cutting bermuda

What is the best big mower for cutting bermuda?
Old 04-05-2007, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I hear that Hustler, Exmarks Triton deck mowers and Cub Tanks and Z-TWO's do really well on that type of grass.
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 04-05-2007, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Exmark All The Way
Old 04-05-2007, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

We are having problems with the hybrid Bermuda. With big decks and uneven terrain it is hard to keep from scalping certain areas and that grass don't come back out when you are in the middle of the summer. I think the answer may be Walker because that deck follows the terrain pretty good.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:10 AM
LawnSite Member

walker for Bermuda

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
We are having problems with the hybrid Bermuda. With big decks and uneven terrain it is hard to keep from scalping certain areas and that grass don't come back out when you are in the middle of the summer. I think the answer may be Walker because that deck follows the terrain pretty good.
I agree... we mow 90% bermuda here in Oklahoma and the Walkers leave the best finish out of everything we've tried... and of course in our shady areas there's fescue which the Walker does nice on as well but it's a bit of a pain to raise the deck for the fescue areas. I guess we should invest in the quick height adjusters.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with ace at least in my area walkers are king in my town anyone that is anyone has at least one walker hell home owners are ever shelling out 10 grand or more for walkers and im not talking about just a few. ACE i just got a quick height adjuster on my new walker and after using a 48" deck for 2 years w/o it i will probably never have another deck with out one, but i am a solo operator i dont think it would be cost effective if you were running a crew, i just dont like getting off and on all day since i have to do everything anyway.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:29 AM
LawnSite Member

aduster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pclawncare View Post
I agree with ace at least in my area walkers are king in my town anyone that is anyone has at least one walker hell home owners are ever shelling out 10 grand or more for walkers and im not talking about just a few. ACE i just got a quick height adjuster on my new walker and after using a 48" deck for 2 years w/o it i will probably never have another deck with out one, but i am a solo operator i dont think it would be cost effective if you were running a crew, i just dont like getting off and on all day since i have to do everything anyway.
Thanks for the feedback on the adjuster. I have never seen one in person or used one but am real glad to know that it works well so that is a big help. We run the 48" ghs deck as well so it's a big help.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:45 AM
LawnSite Member

i have a dixie chopper fastest rated blade tip speed on market 19,500 it does great on all grass. i also have a kubota zg20 blade tip speed 15,500 it does not do well on some types of grass leaves sprigs some times .im amazed at the power the dixie chopper has
Old 04-06-2007, 01:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielmorvant View Post
i have a dixie chopper fastest rated blade tip speed on market 19,500 it does great on all grass. i also have a kubota zg20 blade tip speed 15,500 it does not do well on some types of grass leaves sprigs some times .im amazed at the power the dixie chopper has
Dixie Choppers are fine on trash mowing/chop n drop situations but on real life homeowner lawns there's absolutley no comparison to a Walker finsh cut... both have their place but no real comparison between the two, they are meant for totally different jobs.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My Scags with Floating deck and the anti-scalp Rollers work wells on Bermuda.....Leaves a Nice Finished Cut, with nice and clean strips.....But even here in Atlanta, Walker is King....I have been trying to hold out until early fall, just in time for leaf clean ups to purchase, but I am itching to get one soon.....Only thing I am going to hate is dumping all those clippings every day....My dealer found a cougar at one of the Scag Warehouses, and wants me to buy that instead of a walker, to keep my inventory consistence. JMO......