Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-05-2007, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

best ride-on sprayer/spreader?

Z-spray units:
Positives = nice weed contol and product duribility. Good guys!
Problem: it's a zero-turn. Requires two hands to steer and not able to operate deflector shield or shut off spray, etc while keeping two hands on the controls.

Perma Green units:
Positives = easy to manuever. fun to drive.
Problems = poor small-leaf weed control, constant corroded wiring, many parts shelling out, deflector shield prevents putting product along curbs for crabgrass control.

Both companies have very fine people who answer the phone.

Problem I find is the "actual unit"....

There has to be a solution. I'm thinking I might use the PG unit & re-engineering it. Changing the battery set up, tweaking the deflkctor shield, etc.?

I have ideas such as a motorcycle battery + eliminate the 90 degree fittings .. 90 degree resricts flow--dumb idea in the first place.

Currently we have two PG Ultras. One sprays poorly and does not spread (worn out coupler).

The other does not spray or spread (broken coupler and ?).

Both are 4 years old. Seems to me, expensive lawn care equipment should last longer than a "throw-away vacuum cleaner".

Our PG units have been broke down about twelve times over the past 4 years, (cost us money and customers).

Right now, I don't know where to turn.

Please help. Thanks.

p.s. "
"senior members" who only respond with selfish critism of members are not appreciated by me.

Thanks to all. I totally respect ALL feedback. Those who criticioze the fact that the same subject has already been posted (no matter what subject) really DICUSTS me. Some of you are "senior" members??? Shame on you.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have the z-max and a PG.
I take the z every where and use it on all (including my smallest) properties.
I also pull a tow behind aerator with it.
While the machine is a zero turn I have found that I can operate it with one hand.
BTW there is also a foot operated button to work the sprayers.

I keep the pg as a spare now.
The most it gets used now is when my son is at the shop with me.
He loves riding it.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree pilgrim. I own a z-max and can operate it with one hand. It only takes a second to stop and raise/lower deflector, spray works with foot control and hopper needs shut off before you turn anyway. While never operating a perm green I truly love my new z-max, especially with the 50 gallon capacity spray system. I owned a z-jr before this year and never had any problems at all. If you have any questions at any time, Tom and Andy are more than willing to help--great guys.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I too often operate with one hand when needed. Agree with previous two posts.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

americanlawn,

PG has changed dramatically since 4 years ago.

Others,

What are the cost differences?
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980
Old 04-06-2007, 10:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

[QUOTE=americanlawn;1781924]Z-spray units:
Positives = nice weed contol and product duribility. Good guys!
Problem: it's a zero-turn. Requires two hands to steer and not able to operate deflector shield or shut off spray, etc while keeping two hands on the controls.

Perma Green units:
Positives = easy to manuever. fun to drive.
Problems = poor small-leaf weed control, constant corroded wiring, many parts shelling out, deflector shield prevents putting product along curbs for crabgrass control.

I disagree - The PGs aren't really expensive and you shouldn't plan on getting more than 3 years out of them. Over the 3 years, they'll cost about $14 a day, which is a tremendous bargain. They might last longer if you take care of them but I'm amazed at the number of posts that complain they don't last 5-10 years. You're fightig a losing battle with 4 year old machines. The design frankly wasn't that good and the new Magnums are much better. I've read a lot of posts about people screwing around trying to re-engineer the machines. Consider for a moment how much productive time you're wasting trying to get an extra year or two out of a bad design.
As for the Zspray - I'll probably get one but their deflector is a drawback - you can't reach it while riding, meaning you have to stop. I'm spoiled with the PG by being able to reach over while driving. It could be more inconvenient but I can't imagine how.

Last edited by sclawndr; 04-06-2007 at 10:37 AM. Reason: better answer
Old 04-06-2007, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Put your old units on Ebay! you will probable get 3 grand for the pair. then either buy the Z-Spray or a new PG Magnum. I'm on the 3rd season with my Magnum and still going strong. I don't see any reason the magnum wont go 10 years with proper maintenance.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:42 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Doesn't that foot-shifter on the PG's drive you nuts? It looks like it would difficult to use, every time you needed to change directions. To keep from using the shifter any more than you have to, do you guys do circle patterns in your lawns, or do stripes, back and forth?

Since Z-Sprays have zero-turn capability, doing stripes, back and forth looks like it would be easy.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Actually, the only problem with the foot shifter is that it doesn't stick out far enough. I usually only have to use reverse to get off the trailer. Go forward and loop around - it's no big deal. You'd also think the lousy brakes on the PG would be a problem but they're really not. The transmission will keep you at a steady speed on any reasonable grade. It's a good reminder to not take the unit where it shouldn't be to begin with. If you have to use the brake, you're in the wrong place.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The foot shifter isn't a problem. I do go in a circular pattern, it makes turning a lot easier, and I usually only go need to use reverse a couple times a day if that. I carry a small Scott's hand held spreader for any tight spots.