Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-28-2001, 05:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

26" walk behind mowers???

I've been thinking about getting one of those 26" lawnmowers, so far i've seen a Stanley(like the tape measures) and Craftsman, I know these aren't commercial grade, but right now I've only got about 6 yards to mow, and don't really plan on getting any more. Most of my yards are just big enough that a 21" is just a bit too small.. I'm just a little leary about these, I've never really seen them before and haven't talked to anyone that's used one... thanks for you help:blob3:
Old 07-28-2001, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Member

My thoughts on this are as follows.....

You would be better off getting a commercial grade 21". The speed of the mower, reliability, and cut quality should more than make up for the extra 5" per pass that you would get with one of those units.

Or....

Spend the dough and step up to a bigger commercial W/B....
Old 07-28-2001, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Take a look at KEE. you can find them at www.trailmate.com They are great mowers, full commercial with swivel casters. Push and Self Propelled. The TM-26 with aluminum deck and 8h.p. will set you back $1100 and the same model with a steel deck will run about $830, aka the classic-26". Whatever you do, buy it with at least an 8h.p. or you'll be sorry. I wouldn't cut lawns with out one of these on my truck. Good Luck.
Old 07-29-2001, 02:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

this year we added a used 32 in exmark to out arsenal, the 36 fits thru most gates, but this one fits thru all gates. it also helps satisfy these people that ask u to use a small mower.
Old 07-29-2001, 11:47 AM
LawnSite Member

I saw a 26 in. at walmart. I think it was a stanley-I have nothing positive to say about it. Maybe you could try to find a good used 32 or 36 comm. mower. It may cost you a little more than you want to spend but it would last you a very long time.
Old 07-29-2001, 02:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I was wondering whether you are talking about the little 26" riders or a walk behind. IMO, I recommend staying away from the small riders. They aren't productive, and are not designed for commercial use.

That said, I have a 26" Yazoo with the bicycle wheels. I got it to use in very tall grass, but it does a nice job on finish cuts. The KEE 26" is also good, but the king of this type of machine is the Snapper with a Robin 6hp.

Still, the best way to go would be to get a 32" or 36" WB. They will be far more productive and easier to use than the other mowers. Whatever you decide, spending money on a mower from Wal-Mart is a waste of your money. There's a reason why so many guys use commercial equipment, and it isn't just because they're cool.

Endless Summer Lawn Care
Portsmouth, VA
Old 07-29-2001, 03:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I saw that Encore had a 26 at the expo. I think that it had a 8 horse engine.