Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-29-2001, 03:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Searching

I haven't done a search to see if this has been covered because the search term range would be to vast

With lawnsite.com getting so big and having a large searchable archive, the admins promote searching. A problem I have is searching and important terms being under 3 characters. What if I want to seach for a 36 Toro, it won't let me. What about searches for 12 hp Kawasaki motors? 12 is crucial, but won't go through. I'm suggesting that numbers be allowed to pass through minimum length and maybe you can think something up for common search terms under 3 characters like common abreviations used here like wb.

Thanks
Old 07-29-2001, 11:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Those seraches can be redefined...

Instead of <b>36 Toro</b>...Try <b>Toro walkbehind</b>

Though 126 threads appear your questions normally can be answered on the first page.

Instead of <b>12 hp Kawasaki motors</b>..Try <b>Kawasaki engine</b>..never seen a 12 hp Kawa engine (horizontal or vertical) ** I could be wrong **

You can still redefine your searchs by the dates as well as the forums that you want to search in.

I know what you mean, but I feel that you can still find your answers with the search engine features.
Old 07-29-2001, 12:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yes I know terms can be redefined, but if you want people to search it's got to be more user friendly. Some people can't even do a proper search. They want answers quick and I think they're willing to search but if it comes up with overs 3 pages of results they're going to want to post a new topic to get answers quick and probally has been covered before. It makes since to be able to search for deck size when you want to review a mower quickly.

Also what if alot people out there post Toro walkbehind has Toro wb? What if they wanted to compare 60" ZTRs? There is a plethora of information here, and would be nice if I could access the topics I need quickly.

Allowing number terms to have no minumum length would take care a majority of this. A searcher would get more accurate on target results and allow greater variable search term control.

PS. I haven't seen a 12hp Kawasaki either but it just popped into my head...
Old 07-29-2001, 05:41 PM
Administrator

I changed the minimum search length to 2 letters.

Chuck
Old 07-29-2001, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Chuck. When searching I found it best to use * at the end of deck size, but then you also get model numbers...