Register free!

Old 04-22-2007, 11:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicmudpuppy View Post
Helper to roll out pipe at $X/hour divided by $600 = ????? Even at minimum wage (and if you can find help that will even show up 3 out of 5 for minimum, you're beating the odds really bad) your going to pay for the reel in a month.

Machinery that you use is rarely a bad investment. One of the biggest humps an installer makes it over is owning vs renting his machinery.
It's a lot harder for me to figure out the payback point on that, partly because I am so used to doing pulls by myself. For me, I look at this item as a bit of a luxury item, the main reason to own it is to make my life a bit easier, not out of necessity.

I'm a big believer in owning everything I need, and in doing regular maintenance and upgrades. At this point in the season, I've already spent my budget for the year on these sorts of things (borit, hd drill for driving the borit, tires for truck, maintenance on 100sx), so this item needs to slide under my radar screen to be purchased this year. At half the price I'd have to think hard about it, especially because we have no dealers for it around here and I can't "demo" it. A demo could easily make or break the deal, or justify the price, but I don't have that luxury. I just have to decide, and if I don't like it, well, I'm stuck with it.

As a small business owner, everything is a trade off. The money I spend comes out of my pocket at the end of the year, so when I spend it, I do it in the expectation that there is a financial reward for it.
Old 04-22-2007, 03:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobw View Post
Also... what kind of a price range is that pipe reel? I don't think I'm gonna be able to find a decent helper this year, so that reel may be a good investment from a time perspective.

Too bad that UTI doesn't seem to have any distributors this far west.

Quote:
It's a lot harder for me to figure out the payback point on that, partly because I am so used to doing pulls by myself. For me, I look at this item as a bit of a luxury item, the main reason to own it is to make my life a bit easier, not out of necessity.
This sounds like you were looking for ways to replace a helper, not make things just easier on you. My mistake. My children tell me all the time I don't understand this English that I thought I learned as a child.
....but still a bargain compared to anything else.
And I NEVER say I told you so out loud.
How many Hats can you wear?
Old 04-22-2007, 04:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

One problem I can forsee with a pipe holder, for the solo practitioner, is that it might need to be dragged around the yard, while doing the pulls.
Old 04-22-2007, 04:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicmudpuppy View Post
This sounds like you were looking for ways to replace a helper, not make things just easier on you. My mistake. My children tell me all the time I don't understand this English that I thought I learned as a child.
I would love to have a helper, but we are in an economic boom here. Advertising for a simple helper at $15/hr has brought 0 response. Last season I did most of the season alone for the same reason. So, whether I like it or not, I'm solo...

Boots - I can see the liklihood of having to drag it around, but by the same token, I'd be dragging the pipe over to a new pull point anyway. As long as the holder rolls ok, I can't see it being that much of an issue.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobw
Boots - I can see the liklihood of having to drag it around, but by the same token, I'd be dragging the pipe over to a new pull point anyway. As long as the holder rolls ok, I can't see it being that much of an issue.
It would all depend on the property, and the pipe. Laid on its side, the pipe roll could be too wide to get through a garden gate, or past trees and shrubbery.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We have a pipe reel. I will take pictures of it and how it gets used. It really does help to have it as it frees up a man to help dig heads instead of holding the pipe.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
$600 for the reel???!!!! I'm thinking that that won't fit into the budget.... yikes....
Well, bitter reality has arrived. My local supplier, where I first saw the brochure on this thing, responded to my query on pricing. By the time it gets shipped here, he wants $850.00 for it. Bet you he doesn't sell any at that price.

Time for me to see if I can figure out a plan for one of these and hit a fabrication shop up for a quote.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Pipe reel

Just priced one. $750.00. Don't know if it is worth it. Can be seen at the uti website. Looks slick.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:17 PM
LawnSite Member

I figure 40 feet of square or round stock and a heavy duty 2 wheel dolly (about $55.00 at princess auto) as the starting point and a guy could make one for about $150.00
Old 03-04-2008, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Years ago a company I worked for had a poly pipe unreeler. It was about tweenty years old, and didn't work very well. It was made in mexico and it believe it was named Jose. Not sure if this helps much.