Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-10-2011, 03:34 PM
LawnSite Member

poly pipe reels

I am either going to buy or fabricate a poly pipe reel. I have found a few that you can buy, but they are pretty costly. Anyone have any pics of the ones they made? How do they work? If you built another one is there anything you would change. I have seen the ones made by Kaercher and UTI machines. Thanks in advance and Happy New Year!
Old 01-10-2011, 03:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

What sizes of poly will it work for?
Old 01-10-2011, 04:44 PM
LawnSite Member

poly pipe reel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
What sizes of poly will it work for?
I use 1 1/4" for mainlines and 1" for laterals
Old 01-10-2011, 04:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I had thoughts of working up a design for one, but gave it up when they started in with over-taping the rolls to make them stack better.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Saw people started osting on this one again. I have a trick that has worked great for me. I have a 4x4 sheat of plywood that as a 5 gallon pail mounted to the center of it. I lay it down on the ground and lay the poly right on it around the pail. I remove the tapeand let the pipe expand out if it wants to then hook it to the puller. As I pull, the roll simply spins on its side around the pail. Works great, the ail is mounted with a wing nut so it simple dissaembles and stores easily
Old 01-11-2011, 07:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenIndustryAssociates View Post
Saw people started osting on this one again. I have a trick that has worked great for me. I have a 4x4 sheat of plywood that as a 5 gallon pail mounted to the center of it. I lay it down on the ground and lay the poly right on it around the pail. I remove the tapeand let the pipe expand out if it wants to then hook it to the puller. As I pull, the roll simply spins on its side around the pail. Works great, the ail is mounted with a wing nut so it simple dissaembles and stores easily
That is a great idea. Sometimes simpler is better. I like that it is very easy to store also. Thanks!
Old 01-11-2011, 04:22 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm going to make a slight change this spring. I'm going to add a 4" PVC coupling on to the board to feed the PVC thru. I think it will help the poly feed straight towrds me and help straighten out the pipe. Also I have had an issue of the bourd not being heavy enough and moving around, I simply slide a bag of quickrete into the pail. The 80lbs is more than enough waight. i had the bag sitting on the truck one day and slid it in.

This cost me absolutly $0 to make, it was all stuff I had sitting on the truck one day. I was sitting in the trailer eating lunch while it was raining. I had a roll of poly laying on the floor with a 5 gal pail thown in the middle of it and the idea hit me
Old 09-18-2011, 02:25 PM
LawnSite Member

http://www.moveitinc.com/PolyMinder.html