Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-19-2007, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NELawnCare View Post

BTW, actually I am an IT pro. IT Director to be exact. But what do I know. I've only been in the IT industry for 23 years.

Cheers,
I'm a IT developer, not a director. Cheers to another IT pro on the site
Old 04-22-2007, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'd rather be an irrigator... sprinklers are easier to throw than computers.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Member

I find it amazing that so many 'IT Pros' cut grass for a living. I mean, if I went to school for 4+ years I definitely wouldn't spend my 'IT Prowess' to lurk on lawn care websites.

Thanks for all the criticism though, I don't suppose you can give me some advice on how to get rid of some of this broad-leaf crap I have coming up in my yard?

Old 04-23-2007, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't cut grass for a living.

Never have either.

Old 04-23-2007, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Water View Post
I don't cut grass for a living.

Never have either.

My apologies, I just assumed an individual with nearly 4,600 posts on a lawn care website along with a 4 minute reaction time- might have something to do with lawn care.

Old 04-23-2007, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehouse Studios View Post
My apologies, I just assumed an individual with nearly 4,600 posts on a lawn care website along with a 4 minute reaction time- might have something to do with lawn care.

I installed irrigation before switching to IT.

Made a lot of friends on here, I don't see any reason to leave.

I just finished a meeting with a marketing department the other day. Its looking like the client wants to pull the last remaning few flash assets off of the site I'm currently working on, because SEO and Page load times were a concern. The funny thing, is that I didn't mention it to them, they came to me with the concern because they have been reading the studies.

Get with the times.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:

I just finished a meeting with a marketing department the other day. Its looking like the client wants to pull the last remaning few flash assets off of the site I'm currently working on, because SEO and Page load times were a concern. The funny thing, is that I didn't mention it to them, they came to me with the concern because they have been reading the studies.

Get with the times.
You're obviously missing the point here. Go back a few pages and read what I wrote about SEO and how I feel that it is important before you give me such great advice.

Next, please come down off your IT pedestal and realize that this is a website designed for lawn care, not a Fortune 500 company. There's a HUGE difference between large web design firm and freelance web design. The point is that Ga Turf wanted a basic web presence that he could place on fliers, business cards and other medium. He wanted it fast due to the fact that he didn't have a full site and the web address had already been published to several thousand people.

If someone receives a flier in the mail and it has a web address, they're going to their computer and putting the address in- not searching for it in Google to ensure that the SEO is on spot as if that's part of their thought process when deciding if he's the right man to keep the petunias looking nice.

Step out of your big wig IT pro office and look at the real world for a second. He's a friend of mine, needed a site in a hurry, so I was helping him out. Maybe when we get bored of arguing over an internet message board we'll break the site back down and see if we can get all the search engines to index it with the likes of Tim, Roy and Jerry's lawn service. I mean, they have the two yards across the street and I'm almost sure it's because their site was indexed better than ours.

Thanks for the advice though!
Old 04-23-2007, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Thanks for all the criticism though, I don't suppose you can give me some advice on how to get rid of some of this broad-leaf crap I have coming up in my yard?
Any brand name product with 2-4-D in it will work on broadleaf weeds in turfgrasses. Some work better than others because of the other ingredients in the mixture.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:

But... We don't claim you any more Jon.

Can't even let you go to another forum without you getting in a pissing contest.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
You're obviously missing the point here. Go back a few pages and read what I wrote about SEO and how I feel that it is important before you give me such great advice.

Next, please come down off your IT pedestal and realize that this is a website designed for lawn care, not a Fortune 500 company. There's a HUGE difference between large web design firm and freelance web design. The point is that Ga Turf wanted a basic web presence that he could place on fliers, business cards and other medium. He wanted it fast due to the fact that he didn't have a full site and the web address had already been published to several thousand people.

If someone receives a flier in the mail and it has a web address, they're going to their computer and putting the address in- not searching for it in Google to ensure that the SEO is on spot as if that's part of their thought process when deciding if he's the right man to keep the petunias looking nice.

Step out of your big wig IT pro office and look at the real world for a second. He's a friend of mine, needed a site in a hurry, so I was helping him out. Maybe when we get bored of arguing over an internet message board we'll break the site back down and see if we can get all the search engines to index it with the likes of Tim, Roy and Jerry's lawn service. I mean, they have the two yards across the street and I'm almost sure it's because their site was indexed better than ours.

Thanks for the advice though!
Hey if the clients happy

It doesn't make sense to me to purposely ignore something that will add business, but apparently I'm looking at your website from my 10th floor office

BTW, I don't work for a web design firm. I work for a consulting firm. I just happen to specialize in web development (not design), so I get hired out to client companies for that purpose.

I don't see the difference between a big company and a small one. Both should provide a service equal to the rate being charged. But I guess thats why some small companies get big, and so many others don't.