Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-29-2001, 03:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ipm

I am curious... how many of you practise IPM (intergrated pest management)?

We are not into the spraying business.We sub all of it out and my knowledge of this (business) is minimal.

Times are changing ... what kind of things are you doing? I was wondering if maybe it is time to maybe look into supplying "good bugs" eg. assassin bug. bees, centipedes, millipedes, ground beetles, lacewings, ladybugs, spiders and wasps as part of this IPM thing?

Any input on this would be appreciated.
Old 07-29-2001, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Have practised IPM since before it was a buzz word. Most good horticulturalists have practised this if they realized it or not. IPM is really just close observation, good cultural practises, and using the the most effective and least ecologicaly damaging method to control or prevent pests and disease. My rose gardens are mulched and subirrigated. I still spray a dormant spring spray and I keep a close watch for disease and pests. This year have not had to do any more, but if the weather is wrong black spot or mildew can rear it's ugly head and another spray might be needed. Much can be prevented by proper cultural methods and the use of biologicals and some things can't. Try to take care of a heavily used sports field without some chemical help. There is just to much going against you with compaction, turf damage and not enough time for the turf to recover. A lot of times the conditions are not condusive to the survival of beneficial insects. IPM is something that I feel we should all practise but IPM does not mean chemical free or totally organic.
Old 07-29-2001, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dan deutekom
. Try to take care of a heavily used sports field without some chemical help.
Yes Dan I agree totally.

Early detection of insects can eliminate a whole lot of chemical use. eg.. at the first sign of aphids, use a strong spray with the garden hose to knock any emerging aphids..earlier stages can also be cured by milder insecticide such as Safer's soap.

As you mentioned Dan by simply giving special attention to your plants' watering and fertilizing needs infestation can be minimal.
Choosing plants that are suitable for the conditions causes less stress which means less susceptible to insect and disease.

Bottom line .... will people be accepting of the fact that with less chemical there will be a certain amount of pest injury or blemishes on the leaves in our gardens???
Old 07-29-2001, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

As a student in Horthorticulture I've been learning all about using IPM's
1. Detection-scouting
2. Id- Very important to identify the pest.
3. Biology & habitats- type of metamorphosis
4. Economic or aesthetic threshold
5. Selection of control Method
6. Application method
7. Evaluation
8. Recording

I'm not lisenced yet to apply Chem's but I believe the IPM's are very important to an effective plan. Many might be applying the right product but at the wrong time (life cycle). If you apply a chem to Coleoptera (beetles) and they are in the Pupal stage you just waisted your time and money. I think to be effective you must be open minded to all the control methods and each situation will be differnt.
Old 07-30-2001, 07:38 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks guys.
Old 07-30-2001, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks guys
It nice to hear some people have open minds about the use of IPM and understand it for what it really is. The problem is that most people eqate IPM to not using chemicals at all. And in answer to your question Kris I think that eventually people will become a little more accepting of blemishes, and insects.

I have a friend that grows hydroponic tomatoes commercially. Uses IPM which includes the use of biological controls. The fruit is fantastic but the foliage looks like crap. Unfortunitly our end of horticulture tends to put all the value on the foliage and flowers. As a side note this hydroponic operation uses very little in the way of chemical pesticides but all of the nutrient solution is chemically derived.

Take Care
Old 08-25-2001, 12:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

"try to maintain ...a sports..."

Here's a start:

http://entweb.clemson.edu.pesticid/P...n/IPMSport.htm