Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-29-2001, 05:45 PM
LawnSite Member

lawn install

a townhouse owner has asked me to install a new front lawn. the soil is rocky and hard grass only grows in spots. i figured this would be a good way to break into landscaping since there is not much lawn 10x20ft , i will be able to get by w/ hand tools and a wheel barrow and seed. any suggestions on pricing ,how to,or seed choice would be appreciated.
kevin
Old 07-29-2001, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

For such a small area (200sf) it would be more cost effective IMHO to install sod over a fresh coating (2") topsoil.

I would think that this would go for somewhere in the neighborhood of $250 for install, prep, and tp(topsoil).

Hope this helps.
Kris
Old 07-29-2001, 09:48 PM
Lawnsite Addict

For the 25 yds of sod as long as they can water it I would too, waste of time seeding such a small area. (guys I figured in some waste)
Old 07-29-2001, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Paul does your outfit have a minimum that you accept for a job??

Do you say have a price for 500 sf of sod install and everything below is that minimum or do you literally break everything down to give a figure to clients?

Just curious, as to whether or not we lose money by bidding on such small repairs this way.

Kris
Old 07-29-2001, 10:18 PM
Lawnsite Addict

You countnig the Freebees? Ok we really don't have a minimum, We don't bid on work less than $ 10K but we do smaller jobs. smaller jobs just get put to the side untill we have a day one crew is going near that job and can stop.
Old 07-30-2001, 01:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

we did a job slightly bigger a few weeks ago. i went the same route , hand tools and tiller, piece of cake. but there is still alot of time involved running around to pick up sod, etc. also can get rough if u run into unexpected roots that have to be ripped out. anyway we got 365 for what ended up being 250 sq. ft of sod. with no top soil, if u r using top soil to cover 200 sq. ft, 2 inches deep, u need two yds of soil, that would be an extra $130 for us. making the total for yur job about $425. but, u know what u need to make, just trying to give u an idea.
Old 07-30-2001, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Member

lawn install

thanks for the help. i talked to her today and told her 175.00. turns out she want to do her own thing with the 1/3 closest to the house. fine with me, it will be the first one so next time i will
know more about what goes into it.you gotta start someplace. i plan to dig up 2-3 inches, fill and level w/ top soil then seed. she is in the air force and does not have the time to take care of new sod. will let you know how it goes.

kevin
Old 08-03-2001, 08:10 AM
LawnSite Member

If she does not have time to take care of sod, she definantly does not have time to take care of grass seed. She needs to keep the seeded area moist, just like if she had put sod down.
If you do the job, "NO Guarantees", do not even think of giving her a guarantee and make sure that she understands why.
Old 08-04-2001, 11:15 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Kevin, for sod to survive somebody has to water it frequently. There are lots of military people in the area and they do find a way to care for their property. Maybe a timer on a sprinkler or hire someone to do it. If she needs an irrigation system, let me know. We can bid it and install it.
Old 08-05-2001, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bobbygedd
we did a job slightly bigger a few weeks ago. i went the same with no top soil, if u r using top soil to cover 200 sq. ft, 2 inches deep, u need two yds of soil
More like 1 1/4 yards of soil :blob3: