Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-09-2007, 04:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Turned Down 3 Acre Mowing Job

Got a call this morning from a guy who has a 3 acre lot. I have a 48" Exmark Turf Tracer with a Sulky. I told the guy on the phone that the job was too big for me. Would you have turned down this job?
Old 04-09-2007, 04:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Depends if I had a full route or not. When I was starting out, I'd take anything.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I sure would have gone and looked at it and if he liked your price why wold you turn it down Most people would be jumping on that!!!

fluid film- the official sponser of sflqpru
Old 04-09-2007, 04:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Live and learn. Next time check it out, you might be able to get away with subing the job out.
2007 Quick 36 Samurai
19ish Scag 52
2003 5.5 HP Brigs & Straton (I hate gates)
Stihl FS 45 C-E trimmer
16HP Billy Goat Leaf Vac
Echo 210 trimmer
Stihl br 600
Lesco 8hp WB blower, hard to push with a flat
Little Wonder 5hp WB Blower
Little Wonder edger
Echo Chainsaw
Stihl Hedge Trimmer
Spreader
rakes & shovels
10lb sledge hammer
Determination.....

I need a bigger trailer
Old 04-09-2007, 05:03 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Why would you turn it down, sure it might take you a while with a 48" walkbehind but if he agreed to your price in time you could have gotten another mower to get it done faster. You should have been able to get it done in about 2 hours depending on trimming.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:26 PM
LawnSite Member

A big job is only small jobs put together in one convenient place. For the right price, why not?
Old 04-09-2007, 05:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would have went and looked at it and made it worth my while to cut it...
Old 04-09-2007, 07:07 PM
LawnSite Member

I did 3 acres with a 36in. It took some time, but I got it done.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I can't say for sure, I turned down a 35 cubic yard mulch job this morning, but more so because the customer informed me on the phone that it was this much mulch needed to be spread (translation: they ordered the mulch from someone else then try and get some dumbazz Lco to spread it = customer trying to save a dollar = the mulch place didn't give them no discount = they expect I will, since nobody else has, and won't pay more).

Either way, it would've took me 3-4 days, maybe more, I have a problem when it's not my mulch, there's no telling if it's really 35 cu.yds. or not, and then half the time a lot of the mulch has to go 100-200 feet distances one way away, not to mention I didn't estimate it so there's no telling how thick it needs to be spread and basically since it's their plan it puts me at their mercy, so it takes forever and regardless of what I charge, I get took.
Meanwhile, it cuts me out of the delivery fee, and it may not be much, but that's the cake part of the job dangit. So what am I left with, $25 / cu.yd. to spread it is like pulling teeth, I'd really like to get paid per barrow load (so as to make sure I don't get took), but most of these cheapos are thinking $18 - $20 / cu.yd. so...

And the same with 3 acres, if it's too much, it drags bad, the 48" is good for 1/4 acre to an acre, and you can just about start to feel the drag when you're dealing with one acre, of course anything beyond is pure drag lol.

I'd do 3 acres for $130 with my 48 proline w/ velke, but it would take 140 - 150 minutes straight cutting... Then, spend another 30-45 minutes trimming, easy 3-4 hours, roughly 35-40 per hour but it is a constant pay, no truck time and all 1-stop shopping, it does actually add out to good money. Way I used to do it is cut it in sections, a 3 acre lot likely would be like 6-8 or 10 squares somekinda way put together, do one square at a time, it's mentally easier than tackling the entire ball of wax. You just split it up in your mind, and cut out squares or rectangles and work on those and eventually you get 1/2 way through and a little further and half a day later you're done lol. You know, two of these, one in the am and one in the pm = $260, two stops and no more, I could deal with it, kinda.

I would've took it back when, and likely today also, but then grass cutting's my favorite of it all
Maybe you should've took my mulch job and I did the 3 acres?

Last edited by topsites; 04-09-2007 at 08:30 PM.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by echeandia View Post
Got a call this morning from a guy who has a 3 acre lot. I have a 48" Exmark Turf Tracer with a Sulky. I told the guy on the phone that the job was too big for me. Would you have turned down this job?
I took a 6 acre church ---- mowed every sq. inch with my Snapper 52" ZTR---it isn't much bigger than your 48"-------secret to it is---keep your machine runnin'----don't stop for nothin'---keep moving---don't goof off---don't stop unless you absolutely have to---as in---"I got ta go behind this buildin' and drain my bladder!!!!"----but even then---keep your machine idling----don't stop!!! You'll be through in a little while that way!!!