Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-11-2007, 03:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Still NO Phone calls

This is my first year at lawn maintenance, and I decided to deliver flyer's to an upscale neighborhood in my area. I has been about a week now and I haven't received not one phone call, not even for a quote.

I have so much money invested in this lawn maintenance business, that if the phone dosen't start ringing,and customers don't start signing I will be going bankrupt.

How did you guys start out.

Could people be slow at calling due to the weather, we received about 4" of snow three days ago and there is snow in the forecast for the next couple of days.

Any help would be appreciated, I'm starting to get a wee bit nervous
Old 04-11-2007, 03:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Your first rule should have been dont buy anything until you have customers. How many flyers did you put out, hopefully 5k or more.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Only put out 2500, I had to get the equipment as I signed 2 commercial accounts. Still with those commercial accounts I still need more customers
Old 04-11-2007, 04:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

In your area I doubt there is a single person thinking about their lawn with that kind of a weather forecast. Also, with how much you said you have invested, how much went to advertising. You mentioned delivering flyers to one neighborhood, how many have you delivered and to how many different neighborhoods. I like to sample neighborhoods instead of covering the entire hood. I get to cover more ground that way and find out the areas where my competition is lower. Are you sure that the content of your flyers are effective. I realized after doing some marketing research on this site that the content of my flyers were ineffective so I revamped mine in an effort to get a better response. I do some searches on this site about marketing/advertising and see how you think your advertising measures up. Good luck
Old 04-11-2007, 04:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

owning/starting a business is very risky. It also sounds like you didnt drop off enough flyers. One neighboorhood is not enough. try th whole town and im sure youll generate phone calls. also, what does your flyer look like? i have dropped only 600 flyers and got 19 phone calls and landed half of them so far. i still have 4,400 flyers to go. My flyers are really professionally made door hangers, that are color on both sides and glossy. they are very professional looking which im sure has helped to get the calls i did.

You cant put all your eggs in one basket. keep dropping flyers or maybe revise your current flyer, and drop them until you have enought customers. i plan on dropping them all summer long to the neighboors of my customers.

Good luck but i personally do not thing i would have bought all your equipment before having any customers. but just keep dropping flyers.
Old 04-11-2007, 04:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

ahh, looks like i just repeated the poster above me but i was typing as he was posting, lol
Old 04-11-2007, 04:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i have so much lawn stuff and did 2 one time jobs ( i have placed 3 ads in the paper, handed out flyers, and cards) havnt got any for sure whole seasons yet

1999 dodge ram 2500 4x4 (ex plow truck needs tranny work)

1998 dodge ram 2500 ext cab needs all new lines (soon to be the new plow truck)

curtis plow 7 1/2ft 4 years old

1995 7ft X 16ft trailer

woods diesel zero turn 5ft mowing deck (60 inch) 6-7 years old

and a whole lot more ill up date later
Old 04-11-2007, 04:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&E View Post

Could people be slow at calling due to the weather, we received about 4" of snow three days ago and there is snow in the forecast for the next couple of days.
You think? I send out a minimum of 10k flyers at a time and hit the same area twice with a 7-10 day interval. Always during nice weather. For every 1000 you should get 10 calls and 3 customers. Anything substantially more and your price should be looked at for increases
Old 04-11-2007, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpnd View Post
You think? I send out a minimum of 10k flyers at a time and hit the same area twice with a 7-10 day interval. Always during nice weather. For every 1000 you should get 10 calls and 3 customers. Anything substantially more and your price should be looked at for increases
do u send them bulk mail?
Old 04-11-2007, 07:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Read through the info contained in this link before you spend a penny on any form of advertising. It is very helpful info
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...aoka/flyer.htm