Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-10-2007, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Little bout me

Hi all:

I'm new here, and wanted to share my situation...

I'm 30 years old and work as a manager in a local factory. The job is great and the hours are even better. I've been earning around 40K a year, but only work a few days a week. There is a chance however that I might be asked to move to another location, possibly in the upper Northwest in the next 6 months to 1 year, or worse yet laid off all-together. There is just as likely a chance that nothing at all will happen and life will continue as normal.

Later this summer I will get a 10-12k dollar payout on an investment and have decided to use this as a spring board into starting my own business. I currently own a 7 year old car that I plan on trading in on an older 4wd truck. I will need to find an extended cab as I have a 4 year old child that I have to take to and from day care everyday. I owe no money on my car, so I will trade it for a truck and probably take out about 4000 on a truck loan, and spread it out over 3 years if possible. Keeping my monthly expenditures low.

I have great credit and I am considering asking the bank for a demand note for 10,000 dollars right after I buy the truck. I'll set-up the payoff for 6 months, which would allow me to buy and start using equipment right now with no payments, and be guaranteed to be able to pay off the note in September when my 10-12k payout comes. Also in the meantime I will be able to pack-rat any income that I have from mowing, as the income isn't necessary for my job. In september after paying off the note I would hope to have earned enough from mowing to purchase a plow for the truck, and possibly start looking at buying a dump trailer.

I would continue to mow next summer and try to build up my number of accounts. In the meantime I want to purchase a used Skid Steer and offer a number of services with that as well. My goal would be to use the income from both these services to pay off existing debt and position myself for not needing to work my full time job (especially with the sudden lack of job security in the tech sector).

My plan is to do this "all legit" from the get go. I would definately post a loss my first year with the equipment purchases, and likely the 2nd year as well with a skid steer to depreciate, which would probably be a really good thing as this investment payout is going to eat about 6-7k in taxes...My goal would be to be profitable to the point that I'm either taking home pay, or paying off non-business debt by my 3rd season.

A few other tid bits.... Like I said I'm 30 years old, last summer I acted as the general contractor on my own home, building it basically for no money down. It's 3700 sqft on 10 acres, we owe 160,000 and it is currently worth 228,000 (appraised anyway) (yeah I know these numbers look small but house is VERY cheap around here). So I have good credit, 68,000 in equity in my house if it is ever needed (though I have 30,000 in other junk debt including a boat I'm upside down on). My father in law lives up the road and will be able to garage all of my equipment for safety/weather protection. Wife, two children and dog.

I feel like I have a decent plan, but the devils in the details which I am still ironing out. Let me know if you see something I'm missing or have advice.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:19 PM
LawnSite Member

you've got a great plan.. when you start, incorporate as an s-corp. 2553 is the form
Old 04-11-2007, 05:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Why an s-corp...is there an advantage to that over an llc?